Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Makes a Cab "3" or "4" way???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Apr 2, 2004.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    never really understood, but was wonderin'...

:ninja:

2. High, Mid, Low... Ringing any bells here?

:p

3. bass, treble, antenna

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Yes... Acme's are 3-way with the dedicated subs, mid and high driver with crossovers splitting the signal 3 ways. AccuGroove are 3- or 4-way. Etc. ;) :)

5. As I understand it, it has to do with weather or not the speaker divides the signal in different frequency ranges and routs these divided signals or not. A one way system like a single 15 or SVT 8x10 sends the same signal to all of its speakers. A 2 way system like a Bergantino HT112 sends the low part of the signal to the 12 and the high part to the tweeter. This dividing is done by a component called a "passive cross over" A 3 way system like an Acme B2 sends the low to the 10's the mid to the 6" and the highs to the tweater. So on and so on.

Hope this helps.

6. What graybeard said. That pretty much nails it.

Then there are biamp and triamp systems that use electronic crossovers and amplify the signals - lows, mids, highs, sublows, etc. with different amplifiers and send them to speakers specifically designed for that signal range. PA's use this method all the time.

7. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    Great comments.

To be redundant, you basically break the frequency response up into (3-way) lows, mids & highs, or (4-way) sublows, lows, mids & highs. Then compartmentalize these individual frequencies by choosing drivers that will excel in their needed parameters. (Ex. Highs: 3,500 to 18k) As basstrader & GreyBeard said, passive crossovers & electronic crossovers can be used to divide the frequency up & send it to the correct drivers.

We further isolate ours by separating the drivers into their own compartments & giving them their own tuned ports. One of the difficult issues is not only finding drivers that work well, but ones that work well together.

The middle of the road is the industry standard 2-way system with multiple 10” drivers & a compression horn. Here you are dividing the frequencies up into 2 pieces. The other extreme, and the opposite of what we are doing, is my friend Phil Jones. He’s using multiples of the same driver in one cabinet, similar to what Bose did.

Let me state that there is no single design that’s “correct.” You can make a 1-way, 2-way, 3-way or 4-way cabinet sound great or you can make one that sounds horrible. Everyone has their preference & it’s these options that help make life interesting. I’m just honored to be able to do my part in adding to the choices available.

Mark
    AccuGroove.com