What makes a car louder?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by razorbakc, Sep 26, 2002.

1. razorbakc

Feb 3, 2002
    I know this is kind of a stupid question, but I've got a 65 Musang and I want to make it louder, what does this?
  2. Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Turn on your radio as loud as it can go.:p

Well, punching a hole or two in your muffler would work. Air intake, turbo, et cetera. If I were you, I would do this:

1) go to your local library, and check out all the car books I could. There's lot of info at a library.

2) go to your local mechanics shop and talk with them. mechanics know everything about cars

3) talk with a few car buffs if you know any. I don't know how old you are but there's lots at my school

4) do a search on mustangs on the internet. everybody and his brother has a mustang. I'm sure you can find lots and lots of stang modification websites on the internet.

So, why do you want to make your mustang louder anyway?
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    An aftermarket exhaust system that is geared towards performance will USUALLY make it louder. Just ask the guys at the muffler place, "What's loud?" They should know.

Of course, you could just have an open exhaust... :D

Be careful, though, some states have (and sometimes enforce) a decibel limit on exhausts. Mega-loud exhausts also piss off a lot of people, myself included. I'm all for adding a little oomph to your exhaust note, but some people go too far. The funniest are the guys who put 5" exhausts on their Civics. I heard them coming from behind and expect to see a blender whiz by. :rolleyes:
  4. razorbakc

Feb 3, 2002
    thanks, I just want like a little more roar of the engine, I gues yosu could say, not intolerably loud.
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Hey man, a throaty V-8 is a thing of beauty.
  6. i dont like loud cars, i like em to have a nice deep growl to em. can still hear the radio without crankin it, and will still attract attention.
  7. D. Funkalicious

D. Funkalicious

Sep 22, 2002
    The cheapest way to go would be a set of glasspacks. Essentially, they are 'straight-through' mufflers: The let the exhaust go right through without any interuption. A normal (quiet muffler) makes the exhaust pass through chambers to quiet down the car. Figure on maybe $30 bucks for the mufflers, and maybe another $30 or so for a muffler shop to put them up. They are an easy remove and replace. This will be mellow at idle, but when you put your foot into it, watch out, you might just wet yourself.
  8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah whats up with these people suping up their cars to sound like mosquitoes these days?!

Ill take a deep roar over an anoying buzz anyday thank you very much!

9. Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    The roar just doesn't do much for me. I prefer the "mosquito" sound myself :p
  10. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey there. Glass packs are definitely loud, but check before installing;they're not legal in all states.
    Of course, don't forget the headers if you're gonna do up the exhaust :D

You might want to look into a different cam shaft. But be sure you know exactly what you want out of it before getting one-too much cam isn't a good thing. A good speed shop can help you with that.
    I like old mustangs myself-especially the fastbacks. Let us know how it turns out. Hope this was helpful.
  11. i asume its a 289 right? is it a hypo or standard. what about your carb, 2 or 4 barrels. a 4 would make it louder and give you more hp. glass packs and a new carb are what your lookin for in terms of sound. but if you want to make the thing go faster and accelerate quicker you have to concentrate on airflow. 80% of your hp is determined by how well your engine can breath. even if its not a hypo you can put an open air filter on it for starters thats only like 25 bucks and 10 for the filter. plus it will make that 289 look cooler. i love mustangs they are great and ive read lots of books about them. i would have bought one but i bought a 68' Firebird instead. its got a 350 with a 4 barrel holly carb, talk about a nice sounding engine. actualy right now im rebuilding my transmision, wich hopefuly ill finish by next week cause taking the bus to work is totaly lame and stupid for sure;)

anyway have fun with your pony:eek:
  12. D. Funkalicious

D. Funkalicious

Sep 22, 2002
    What sort of trans do you have in your car lemonpillow? I've got a beefed TH350 in my project car that impresses me to no end. Ran it completely out of fluid one day (one of the cooler lines broke); it was so dry that it lost reverse. Fixed the line and topped of the fluid, and it worked like a champ. Sounds like you have a sweet car.
  13. D. Funkalicious

D. Funkalicious

Sep 22, 2002
  14. A friend of mine used to drive an old Cadillac with a messed up muffler. The thing was so loud that car alarms would go off when he drove by, just from the sound. That thing was a cop magnet. The looks of it alone was suspicious enough without the noise factor.
  15. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    a thing very commonly overlooked by would be "tuners." :rolleyes:

just remember...when you have a bigger hole in the back, it helps to have a bigger hole up front. don't forget the intake...and then you get into beefing up the top end...most guys beef up the intake...porting and polishing....oversized valves...and then they forget about the crank that they're stressing with their new top end...just research what you do, man...and have fun with it...
  16. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Easy Way:TURBO THRUSH brand mufflers! Deep tone, not TOO loud, but loud enough. Legal in all states.
  17. hayngman

Aug 20, 2002
    Wise County, TX
    If you get custom exhaust done, make sure it's done by someone who really knows what they're doing. You're gonna need some back-pressure, so less resistance is not always better.

The great thing about Mustangs is that you can order anything you need for them. You can get any Mustang magazine at the store and there are tons of companies that specialize in Mustang parts and accessories. I woul recommend getting a full aftermarket exhaust system (from the headers back). You can find some relatively cheap ones (some cheaper than muffler shop prices). I prefer to order all the parts for my '68 Mustang myself.
  18. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    My brother calls them John Deere Racing;)
  19. Mongo say, if you want loud car, get largest possible engine, largest carb, and drop them in.:D

Sorry, I went Mongo on you there.

Getting a new carb with a higher cfm will definetley get you some dB, plus it might add more than a few horses. Tuned headers will also give you better results (on both ends)

A 1/4 race cam will also do that, but that's a major engine change, and you have to watch you idle cause it's easy to kill the engine.

Rock on
  20. what the hell? why why WHY do you need your car to be LOUD? i'd like to take a baseball bat to all these cars with stupid, annoying, unnecessary modifications. just buy a car and use it to get where you need to go, for pete's sake.