Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What makes a good cover song?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bass87, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Opinions everyone?

IMO a good cover is one that still incites the emotion of the original, but adds a little bit, the artists stamp of individuality. That makes it sound kinda hard, but I think that's why there are very few great cover songs.

Btw, feel free to name any examples of your favourite cover songs, though that is a different thread entirely. Mine have to be Love - My Little Red Book, and Fairport Convention - I'll Keep It With Mine

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    IMO there are only two things that make a good cover song:

1. It's a good song to start with (i.e., worth covering).

2. The covering artist can find a way to make the song his or her own. This may involve radical alteration, but it doesn't have to.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Whatever makes `em feel like they're on the inside of a hip party and keeps the bartenders/waitresses sweating like rented mules.

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes, that defintion is audience centered and has two vivid similes! It's exactly what a bar cover band is going for. :bassist: When it works, it's a beautiful thing :)

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Now that's what I call bringing an abstract discussion down to earth.;)

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Oh yeah,

That leads to happy bartenders/waitress cause they get more tips, happy club owners cause he's makin more profit that in turn leads to repeat gigs at the establishment, which leads to more $$$ for the band. A win win situation for everyone. :bassist: