Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what makes a good equalizer/suggestions??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ErikKrueger, Sep 18, 2002.

1. hello all,

i have heard of parametric eq's and graphic eq's and mono eq's and all this stuff.. what is the difference bewtween them all?? which is best for a warwick NT thumb?? what are some good models.. i have been looking for one.. i keep seeing the peavy max bass one.. but i dont know if i chould get a 31 bad eq or 7 band and all this stuff... please help me. any and all suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

thank you,
    erik

http://www.oneawayfrombreathing.com

2. just how much flexability do you want? a 31 band EQ will give you loads of flexability, but IMO, i'd be hell to work with.

3. From the Talkbass AmpFAQ (www.talkbass.com/ampfaq):

. Equalization

This is where part of the tone shaping takes place. The term "equalization" originates from the PA field where equalizers are used to obtain an even frequency response in a given room. Because every room is different and sounds different, a device is needed to correct these differences, in other words: to equalize the response. For bass guitar use, the device should really be named "tone controller" instead of equalizer, but that aside. The working principle is simple: certain frequency ranges can be cut or boosted. Mainly three types exist:

· Tone controls: rotary knobs labeled "bass", "mid" and "treble" control fixed frequency ranges. Other labels may exist and more knobs may be present. Some equalizers have "pre-shape" or "tone matrix" or other controls. In essence they are equalizer presets. They preset an equalizer setting that has proven to be the preference of many bass players.

· Graphic EQ: sliders labeled with frequencies control cut and boost (aka "gain") of the frequency range with the labeled frequency as a center. Each slider controls a socalled "band". The frequencies are fixed. As is the width of each band ("bandwidth").

· Parametric EQ: this type lets you control all aspects of each band through separate controls. Frequency, bandwidth (also designated "Q"), and gain. Some parametric equalizers have additional shelving bands. They control everything below (low shelf) or above (high shelf) their center frequency.

Regards,
    Joris.

4. thank you both for yuor imput... how would a 31 band eq be hard to work with?? and what are some suggested "tone controllers" :D ?? any references for this would be greatly appreciated.

thank you all,
    erik

5. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Raven Labs True Blue Eq

6. A 31 band would be hard to work with, because the cheaper ones will distort easily and add lotsa noise, unless it's a digital eq (but those usually aren't "cheap")

Boss has a very nice "twin" digital EQ pedal (10 bands, named EQ-20) with 9 memories. For a rackmount, maybe a complete preamp with an eq section to you liking would be better.

7. Yet again I must bring up the bandwidth issue. It's a wonderful EQ but the bandwith is more useful for cutting out or boosting certian notch frequencies that would be more fundamental for your bass' signal. Pretty cool, but not very good for drastic reshaping.

8. A good $99 Parametric EQ - Behringer PEQ2200
    w. high/low cut filters, phase compensation, and over lapping freq.'s.

[​IMG]

9. Ease of use, it can be hard to adjust the way you want quickly in a live situation if you dont know how everything works PERFECTLY.

SLiders are really easy to use, but arent as specific as parametric.

10. I am also looking for a device that will help me in live situations. In certain rooms my tube amps sound warm and wonderful. In other rooms I get very frustrated because I cannot dial in a sound. The Sansamp helps, but I would like to try an equalizer. The True Blue sounds good for this purpose. Would the Tru Blue work in this situatiuon? Are there others in the same price range?

11. Rane makes a wide variety of high quality EQ, and they are constantly for sale on eBay for reasonable prices.

My Rane GE30 is a 1/3 octave interpolating type. I find it works very well, plus it gives you a visual clue that you cannot get from a parametric dial. YMMV. I also use my EQ with a Rane realtime analyzer that has LEDs that correspond to each of the sliders. Very easy to adjust each slider and hit the green LED.