Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What makes a good front person?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by spectorbass83, Oct 20, 2005.

1. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I want to know what you look for in a front man and what do you think are some "must haves" of an individual in this position?

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    He/she has to love standing in front of a crowd. And it has to show somehow. When you find a person who simply radiates confidence and is able to communicate with the audience (verbally or otherwise), you have a frontman. Being musically competent doesn't hurt, but I find the above generally more important, especially in rock bands.

3. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Couldn't have said it better myself :cool:

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The ability to frighten people with the Armadillos in their trousers

5. They have to remember the lyrics!!! And also, as important, kill the dead air in between songs by talking to the crowd; keeping it interesting and fun. Nothing makes me more upset than hearing dead air. Nothing. Well, maybe the audience booing.

6. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    2 things, a decent voice and a big set. Anything after that can be worked on.

7. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    James Brown. IMHO he is the greatest front man there every was. He commands his audience and his band. He does it with attitude. A band leader has to be a pitbull; make no mistakes and take no prisoners.

I have lead a band before. When in doubt I'd think: "What would JB do????". It didn't work for me though. I'm more of a sheep dog than a pitbull.

8. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Charismatic
    Likeable
    Engaging
    Attractive
    Energetic
    Mysterious
    Poised
    Dynamic

--other qualities that can work--

Arrogant
    Snotty
    Foul
    Repulsive
    Smelly
    Psychotic
    Angry

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I would normally say good stage presence, but the thing is that Maynard is one of my favorite front man and he has insane stage fright. :meh: