Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what makes a good hardcore song

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BLonge, Jan 16, 2005.

1. BLonge

BLonge

Jan 8, 2005
    Massachusetts
    my band..may be having "creative differences". me and the singer definitely want to go on a more hardcore/heavy road while we dont think the guitarist would be too into it and our drummer would most likely hate it. problem with breaking up and starting a new band is, no one plays drums! the only other candidate we had has had a lot of people ask him to play for them cause hes a great hardcore drummer. but anyways, my question has to do the structure of hardcore music.

i just cant put my finger on what makes hardcore music so damn good. it may be its simplicity. i mean, our first song we just recorded, me and the singer dont like it. it sounds too complicated,ya know? me and the singer discussed it and theres SOMETHING about the song that just doesnt sit right with us. but im just trying to understand, how to make good hardcore riffs and what not ya know.

well anyways, heres a link to our first song (my first song ever in a band). please let me know what you think. im pretty sure we're gunna leave this song unreleased.

http://www.geocities.com/dtrg65/anawfulride.mp3

2. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm not quite sure what your definition of "hardcore" is, but coming from a thrashier metal perspective, that song doesn't have much power behind it. To me, that song comes across more as a semi-hard rock song and not a "hardcore" song.

3. Are you meaning Hard core as in the Punky-emo hardcore kid stuff, or the Metal hardcore???

4. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Your song isn't loading for me.

5. BLonge

BLonge

Jan 8, 2005
    Massachusetts
    yeah its not working for some reason

but,idk,i just think its been hard to sound how i want because the other muscicians in my band just dont think the same way as i do. the hardcore im talking about is stuff like bane,,american nightmare, champion,with honor, ect....i am personally influenced by those bands soooo much but then everyone else in the band is influenced by completely different genres and it just makes it hard to get a good song. i might be overanalyzing too much cause im disapointed in how the first song came out, but idk.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think what makes a good hardcore song is to write a metal song, and then instead of singing about dragons, sing about wallet chains.

7. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I think the secret to a good hardcore song is to always keep the song moving. Either by constantly shifting riffs/moods (like, from thrashy to more melodic a la Kid Dynamite/Lifetime/Paint it Black), dissonant and angular riffs that make it sound jittery and screamy vocals.

About wallet chains...yeah...

I don't know what you guys sound like now, so I can't offer some sort of critique, but the thing I enjoyed about hardcore was the passion people put into it. The difference between two identical riffs lies in whether or not you have something to say.