What makes a good player?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jacob Painter, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Jacob Painter

Jacob Painter

Jan 15, 2003
    Timpson, TX
    I just got done readying the thread about Les Claypool being the best bassist in rock/alt music. Some poeple said he is some said he isn't; this is what brings up the topic. What makes a good bassist? Is it someone who can right good music or play it. Or is it someone that just has a new and creative tech.? In my opinon I think a person that can play any song but writes crap is a 3 out of 5 bassist, but a person that can't play everthing but that can write good stuff of their own is a true 4 or even a 5 out of 5!

What is your opinon?
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    My opinion as a moderator is that you need to change your signature.

Moved to Misc.
  3. Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
    Good bassist= someone who can play the fastest, most technical bass lines you have ever heard... but doesn't and plays one or two note grooves that hold the entire band together. ;)
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree. And as Miscellaneous CoMod, I will see to it that every time it shows up in my Forum, it gets removed. Until it is changed. Because it is in violation of the Forum Rules
  5. A good bassist is someone who knows what and when not to play.

John Ross
  6. Jacob Painter

Jacob Painter

Jan 15, 2003
    Timpson, TX
    I'm sorry about the slipknot sig....
  7. XlilmetalchickX

XlilmetalchickX Guest

Jan 13, 2004
    i think that a good bassist has to have more than talent, but also determination. some people are just born with the talent and run with it. they never need to practice or anything but they're still good. BUT i think that you can take someone that doesnt have as much talent but puts more into it. has more determination and love for the instrument and the "sport" i guess you can say, and, in my opinion, they're the better bassist. but thats just my opinion.

8. Seems to me that we bass players find ourselves in an interesting position as musicians. Lets face it, most of the general public doesn't listen to the bassline exclusively, or realise that it is the bass line they often find themselves huming to themselves when they cant get that new song out of their head. We are the ones hanging back, getting little love from the ladies it would seem, while the lead guitar and vocals are the ones getting all the attention...

Of course that isn't true in all cases, but it is because of this that I think bass requires a special type of personality. The good bass players I have had the privilege of talking to and learning from all posses an aggressive attitude. Not really arrogant or bossy, but just more serious about their craft than seemingly other musicians. Agian, there are exceptions to this, but overall this is what my limited experience has shown me. Maybe that is just the circle of musicans I hang around. But I think that mentality is essential in driving the low end of a group. A good bassist realises their unique role in this position of an ensamble/band whatever it may be, and the responsibilities which come from this position. They know the rules that have been handle down to them from the greats who made them, and thus they can appropriately modify those rules to their own sound and style. Tact also has something to do with it. A player that has the physical ability to play the fast chops, but refrains from doing it for the sake of the song is... well... a good bass player.

I have been playing bass for less than two years, hardly any time at all compared to some of this forum's members. Hopefully these views are in the right direction.