1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what makes a good slap bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kitcar765, Apr 8, 2006.

1. whats a good budget slap bass? what should i look for?
    any sugestions? im looking for a cheap slap bass less than £200

2. matt"bass"

matt"bass"

Oct 20, 2005
    Hull
    well my first bass a cort, was surprisingly good for slap. as it had a jazz and MM pickup. obviously needed some work to get better quality sound and a good amp, but this cost £250 new, one thing i'd look for is something with more than one pickup, IMO active, and also plenty of room near the neck to "get your funk on" and a thinish neck. those are all the things i'd be looking for. generally if you already have a bass, you could sell it maybe? depends on what it is. and put that toward a bass just of generally higher quality maybe a MIJ fender, or if you could really strech it a Marcus Miller jazz if it just for slap.
    The millers arn't best useably for much else if u require a deep tone the treble on them is incredibly for slap i love them, but id want something more serviceable and versatile.

So in short plenty of depth, and full sound that can ring and doesn't sound too sharp makes a good slap bass.

3. OLP stingray would fit the bill although quality is variable - loads of people slap on a 'ray. Cost should be <200 pounds. I like my used Ibanez ATK's for slapping (and other techniques), and they fit the price bill too. An SX J-bass may also work (not sure about UK availability).

Steve

4. well, normlay i dont realy play slap bass, but becouse my new rickenbacker wont be comming untill august, i wanted something to keep me busy, and i want something with a versatile sound, but, i dont have much cash, i was thinking of a cheap fender style jazz bass, or a musicman stingray copy, does anyone have any particular basses in mind?

5. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    Most of the cheapie low end basswood bodied instruments sound great for slap, and not so hot for everything else. In fact, I've had trouble finding a bass from which I couldn't extract a nice slap tone, save ABGs and some terrible playing electrics. It's all about scooping the mid control (or with an amp with lots of bands, finding different combinations of scooping the various mid frequencies for different styles of slap tone.. you can approximate the Graham 'thud', the Clarke 'bwap', the Flea 'bonk', etc, this way without having their respective instruments).

But if you really want something that will give you a really solid slap tone in that price range, I can only assume that this would deliver the goods more than anything else:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Electric?sku=516050

or perhaps a used S.U.B. ray?

edit:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Ernie-Ball-Musi...oryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

6. anyone?

7. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I don't know but after trying half a dozen assorted warwicks, fenders, ibanez and other basses, I ended up with a EBMM stingray bass.

Something magical about the combination of that ash or alder body, maple neck and the wide pickup. That bass just sounds so incredible.

I'm not sure if mine is alder or ash but since it's solid, I'm guessing it's alder. I know the clear finishes are ash.

Anyway, to me that makes a great funk bass.

Why not look for their OLP version?

8. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    You kind of have to look hard for the things that ultimately bother you when choosing a good cheap bass. One thing I have noticed about inexpensive, and even some mid-priced basses - the dead spot that often shows up around frets 5-7 can really affect your slap sound, particularly on the D string. It's just hard to get a lot of volume out of that string sometimes.

Eventually, you come around to the same answer to this question as to most like it - you just have to go play a few and choose the one that you like best.

9. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Personally, I'd tend to avoid passive P/J configurations if you want that modern-ish slap sound a la Marcus Miller, as the P pickups I've tried did have a cool and distinctive sound but didn't sound as clean as the slap sound that seems to be popular these days. Dialing in both pickups equally helped somewhat but the P pickup retained its voice to some degree.

Which reminds me: what kind of pickups does Mr. Wooten use in his Fodera basses? Even though it seems to be P/J, it doesn't seem to sound Fendery at all, perhaps it's his EQ.

Also, make sure to choose a not too bright-sounding bass, as a decent slap sound needs a lot of bottom in order not to sound tinny and still carry the band without getting buried.

10. funky_bass_guy

funky_bass_guy Guest

Jul 30, 2004
    New strings ;)

The OLP would be quite a good bet. I know a guy in the UK selling the cheaper MTD 353 for £250? The american models have a terrific slap tone so I assume they would too... www.bassworld.co.uk if you interested, its in the for sale forum.

11. EMG

12. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    I've heard good things about them Cort's. I guess any cheap bass can produce a half-decent slapsound if your technique is a bit more than half-decent.

13. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    What is wrong with the bass you have?

14. evrything, lol, pickups are soo soo weak, its heavy very heavy, lots and lots of fret buzz, never stays in tune- thats my wesley 5 string. and as for my cheapo encore, the necks dead, realy badly bowwed. i have a rickenbacker on order but that wont be comming untill august, so untill them in stuck with two crap basses, i have a little bit of cash, i wanted to get a bass thats good for slap, or realy versatile, thats why i was looking at olp and fender jazz bass replicas,

15. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    The player. I still remember the day I saw a guy ripping it up on an old Gibson Grabber bass, and all my pre-conceived notions of what a "slap bass" should be were thrown out the window.

16. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Well if you need a new bass, IMHO I would not just look for one that is good for one style of play I would get one that I felt comfortable playing the different techniques that I use when I play. That is just IMHO
    I know the Fender is good for what ever you want to do, and I&#8217;ve heard that the OLPs where not bad , so it sound like you just have to pick one. When it comes to what they sound like well you really wont know what they really sound like until you play them on your own rig

17. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

I think you should sell your two low end basses, especially the encore, you could probably fix the neck issue, it might just be the truss rod

personally, i dont think slap is totally determined by your bass, its more your technique, i mean people say P basses are bad for slap, but it is actually possible to get a good slap sound out of one.

my suggestion for around &#163;200, try and get a used MIM jazz, or a OLP off ebay

18. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    +1 for the OLP. Although personally, I'd shell out a few bucks more for the Tony Levin sig model. But that's just me.

19. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Ash body with a maple neck makes me a happy slapper!