What makes a good STAND for your bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassAxe, Dec 28, 2002.

1. BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I'm looking for a really good stand.

I want brands names and websites.

I have three, all different designs. The one I like best is my Bruno Ultra A-frame.

I recall seeing an ad for one brand endorsed by Stu Hamm, it said something about staying upright during an earthquake. I don't recall the name.

Features I like: Locking legs and not too much leaning back at the neck.

I've got one with legs that don't lock. Everytime I pick up a bass from it, it falls over. The neck leans back too far in this stand, too, so it takes up extra floor space to keep the headstock from hitting the wall. Too much lean isn't good for a small stage area, either.

Anyways, I did a web search but I know that there are better ones out there than what I found.

Edit: Oh yeah, the brand name of the one I hate is Stageline.
  2. I got one of these:

Mine's the HS38

It's pretty stable, and I prefer my bass being held at the neck rather than resting on the body, especially with my J. They aren't really that cheap, though, mine cost around $ 40.00 at a local music store.

Edit: correction, the model# is KB38, not HS38.
  3. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
  4. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
  5. hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    I take it wall hangers aren't an option?

I love 'em.
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    here's the one i'm gonna get real soon...

Hercules triple guitar stand. they're kinda new i think.

in the local music store, one of the sales people demonstrated this stand to me buy putting 3 basses in it, grabbing it by the top, and violently shaking it. nothing fell, nothing hit each other, and it requires a serious amount of force to tip over. build like a tank too.

kinda pricey. 65 for the triple.

edit: here's the single - can be found for under $30.

7. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I have the single Herc.
    Great stand, I dig the cam lock-release feature, plus the bass rests against nice soft safe hypalon instead of rubberized metal which can harm the finish.
    Very sturdy, very nice stand.
  8. i have a wall hanger.
    my bass is most of the times either on a strap, on me, or in my lap, though!;)
  9. why would your bass be anywhere else but in your hands? :D :p

anyways yeah, i got 2 of the wall hangers (pretty sweet i got new ones for xmas and they lock when you hang a guitar on them) but im planning on getting solid cases so i can keep them in as good of condition as possible.
  10. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)

Ummmm....let's see....
    Maybe during set break....
    So you can leave the bass onstage while you have a drink and talk to the ladies???....

Yeah, maybe that's a reaon to have a GOOD stand!!
    (Club owners no like wall-hangers on stage!!):cool:
  11. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Anyone knows who makes hangers that attach to the amp handle itself? I saw those some time ago, and can't find them again...a really nice idea - no way to flip it over, and takes no floor space.
  12. I use a Hamilton "hanging" stand.

13. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Ditto. You need a running start to knock one of these things over.
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Best stand I have ever used is the Ultimate Genesis 100. Folds up small enough to fit in most gig bags, and almost impossible to knock over. Mine got stolen with all of my other stuff.:(

At home, I use wall hangers.
  15. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Just in case anyone else is looking for these, I found them - will get one for my Carvin head, and one for the 4x10 cab: http://www.wallacher.com/amp.htm

I figure that it's tougher to knock off a stack than a bass sitting on a guitar stand.
  16. I have some wall hangers and and a Warwick 5 guitar stand that i use for 2 electric basses, and acoustic bass, and a didgeridoo. They all sit single file in a row so it doesnt take up much more space than most single bass stands.