What makes a pickup dead ??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gintaras, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I have a pair of Fender american jazz V pickups (I think?!?!) They have double poles. Neck pickup measures 4.9 ohms and the bridge measures 0.....

Is the neck up to par as far as the reading I got and what causes a pickup to read zero. I do not have enough knowledge of pickups to know to what reading I should be getting and what causes it to get nothing. :help:
  2. jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    4.9 ohms seems low ... I would expect a reading of about twice that value at least. This could be a short in the coil somewhere that's allowing current to bypass part of the windings. Also, verify your meter is accurate!!

0 ohms would indicate a dead short to ground. Are you sure you are not reading infinite resistance? That would be more commomn in a pickup as it denotes a broken coil wire somewhere that prevents any current flow at all.

Symptoms for pickup #1 would likely be very low output and for #2 no output at all.
  3. basstruck

basstruck Guest

Nov 25, 2005
    Your pickup is fried!
  4. no no...4.9 is not right...4.9K??? maybe...4.9K is a normal pickup range...zero ohms is a short...as opposed to an open circuit (many mega ohms on some meters = infinite resistance)....

touch your leads together on your meter...is this the same thing that you get when measuring the pickup...if so, it's a short and you may be able to find it...if it is an open circuit then a solder has come loose or your coil has broken somewhere...

check everything out before diving into new pickup territory for sure. Don't just check at the potentiometer output...you may have to desolder from the wiper of your pot and check right at the pickup too...take your time and write down what you are doing as you do it...be methodical
  5. jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    My bad, I was assummed he was reading 4.9K, not 4.9 ohms. Normal for a jazz pickup is 7.5K to 12K depending on the wind. 4.9 ohms for all intents and purposes is a short in a pickup coil.
  6. 4.9k would be normal for a humbucking J in parallel.

besides, the 4.9k pickup isn't exhibiting a problem