Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What makes a ray sound like a ray.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Mar 5, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    ok, if you were building a bass and you could only add 1 thing to make it sound as stingray as possible, what would it be?

electronics, ie preamp, pots.

Pickup and pickup location

or hardware

is it actually possible to get the classic stingray slap sound without actually spending 1000+ on a real sting ray?

I know about the OLP copies but ive heard bad things about the.....

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    And there you have it.

3. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

ok...so I take a low-mid range P bass, route a hole in it, install a MM pickup in the right place, and I can get something similar to that slap sound?

4. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I'd also add the preamp to the equation. It's responsible for much of the high end you can get from a Ray.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    :meh: You can do anything you want, but at that point I would just get an OLP and maybe put in a pickup and preamp from a real Stingray. You'd be saving yourself a bunch of hassle.

edit: OLPs are fine basses; I've come close to buying one several times. You'll find just as much quality there in terms of construction that you would in a lower end P-bass copy.

6. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

No --

Actually, you'd have a Fender Big block P-Bass!

[​IMG]

Seriously, tho. I have often wondered about this as well. If anyone has an answer, I would be interested in hearing it.

7. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

well that would be true if I just wanted a stingray copy.

but i forgot to mention that i wanted a P bass aswell. so im trying to hit 2 birds with 1 stone as it were :D, and the american precision deluxe is too expensive....why dont they make a squire/MIM/MIJ version!?!?

actually.....i could get a olp and then route a P style pickup into it.....

8. IotaNet

To Duck's point, there are a couple of options along that line:

1) You could do exactly as he suggests and buy an OLP and upgrade the guts. (Seymour Duncan makes a pickup/preamp combo for this very purpose. It costs about $200.)

2) You could buy an OLP Tony Levin Sig -- which comes with a 3-band preamp -- for $349 and call it a day. (This is an option that I am looking very closely at.)

9. IotaNet

Whoa -

This thread is moving awfully fast!

There is a TB'er who has done exactly what you are suggesting -- with a Squier, no less! I don't know how it sounds but it sure looks pretty!

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212220&highlight=squier

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The pick up and its location.

11. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Ummmmmm... Music Man S.U.B.???

[​IMG]

Can be got for under a grand I believe...

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yup, they can be had for $700 new easily, lower if you find a bargain. The active ones have the same electronics as normal stingrays. Passive ones lack the preamp so they have a different flavor.

13. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    I feel the aspects that give the stingray its tone the most are the pickup and the ash. An alder stingray just isnt the same.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well what say you to the fact that not all stingrays are made of ash? Today, 99% of them are, but in the past, other woods were indeed used.

:)

15. sync00

sync00

Nov 23, 2005
    I have no idea what a ray sounds like. Is there some place I can download a sample?

16. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Figjam, you're absolutely right. Have you played an alder ray yet? I feel the sonic qualities of an Alder ray and an ash ray are quite varied.

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I cant say that i can have a solid opinion on the matter since i think there are too many variables between basses. I think 2 different string types have a more drastic affect on sound than lots of other factors.

18. marwady

marwady Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Northern Michigan
    I changed out the pup in my TL OLP to a Nordstrand and it really sounds good. Make sure you contact Nordstrand directly as the TL takes a proprietary version of the Nordstrand pup.

Best, Mark

19. marwady

marwady Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Northern Michigan
    Donutman,

Please read my review of my TBC AP 400MM here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210278&page=9

I can also get very close to a PBass sound (not exactly, but close). Great bass for the $$$ IMHO.

20. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

red hot chilli peppers- blood sugar sex magick.

anyway, The OLP ones have basswood bodies. if the ash body is so important I could try and get a ash Precision body from ebay. but TBH I doubt i would notice the differance.

Does anyone know where the "sweet spot" actually is?