Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What makes a Ric sound like a Ric?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillyB_from_LZ, Feb 17, 2003.

1. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If I took a neck through bass that has maple neck and body and installed Ric pickups in the proper positions, would it sound like a Ric?

I love that way the 4001/4003 look and sound but am not too fond of the feel or the cost of even beat up used ones...

Any ideas?

2. i think the sound lies in the pickup design
    the neck is a weakish bass colour to augment the bold mid rangey sound of the bridge
    both pickups are slightly more forward to the fender two pup designs..jazz that is
    and the pole pieces are very exposed and mushroom headed.
    i dont know much about the windings and magnet materials but i bet they are specifically 'ric'.
    if i remember my ric didnt lose mid frequencies when both pups were on full..quite the contrary and this may be why rics are rics..
    :)

3. I think the sound with both pups on might have something to do with their exact placement. Placement on the 4005 is completely different - but i have never had the chance to try one out :meh:

I dunno if the pickups have all that much to do with it - but I suspect its got a lot to do with all that MAPLE. I had an old model 3000 shortscale, with just one RIC 'humbucking' pickup, and (equipped with round-wounds) it had the same "deep and twangy" character as a 4001

4. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    And don't forget the odd scale length of 33.33". It has ALOT to do with the overall sound and feel. If you play a Ric and a similarly constructed bass acoustically, you'll hear and feel the difference.
    GEEK

5. that's like asking the meaning of life!!!:D

well, to some of us anyways. i think it's one of those things we're just not meant to know. like why can't drummers count or why are guitarists tone deaf. ;)

<no harm intended>

lexy

6. I think it's mostly the pickups and the use of maple. If you think of it, Rickenbacker guitars sound very different "from the other brands" as well as their basses.

Mike

7. even their own basses
    found this on a search for toaster pickups
    very interesting
    back to the future?:cool:

8. with Ric's, it's the sum of all parts(pup's,const.,ect.) + a little Rickenbacker magic....;)

9. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    In the Bunnybass interview, John Hall, CEO of Rickenbacker, says that the bridge design has a lot to do with it, too.

10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    They make their own pick ups, i would guess thats the main factor.

11. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    I once had a Rick and got the pickups rewound by Lindy Fralin. After that it sounded much better with much more clarity to the sound. My friend also had a Rick that was a couple of years older than mine and the difference was very noticeable.

Unfortunately I got rid of it a few years later.

12. I think the thickness of the body (thin) has something to do with it.

13. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Sounds likely. But then again... a Thunderbird has a thin body, but an "opposite" (dark) kind of sound. But then again... Chris Squire once said in an interview that when he had his bass repainted, it was also shaved down and lightened up considerably, and that this made it sound completely different.

14. arose11

arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    isn't that the guy from Yes?

15. Just to rock the boat...

The pickups on my 4001 have been replaced by Bartolini pickups, and it still sounds like a Rick. So from my first hand experience, there's more to it than the pickups.

Brian