Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What makes a Sadowsky so good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phaneo, Jan 8, 2005.

1. phaneo

phaneo

Mar 14, 2001
    Fort Worth TX
    I just saw a Sadowsky Metro RV4 in the classifieds. I've seen the name on here before, but never actually seen one. When I looked at the pic, it looks just like a Fender Jazz. So what is it that makes these basses cost so much more? Is it the type of wood used, hardware, electronics??? Or is it just that there are so few of them made. I'm not trying to offend any Sadowsky lovers, just trying to get educated. I'm looking to buy a Jazz bass soon, and want to know if this is worth the extra cash.

2. Cues ilovepink in 3...2...1...:D

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Roger has Tinkerbell sprinkle fairy dust on each one. :)

Then you should do a search for "Sadowsky". :)

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Nope.. Banned!!!!!

:hyper: :D

5. haha, really?! Wow, where have I been?!

6. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Really? When did this happen?

7. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I've been asking myself the same question for the past year. After going back in forth these are my conclusions...

1. Electronics are some of the best you can get for any bass. The pickups and preamp are awesome and if you had to add them to a bass you would be looking at $300-$400

2. Fit and finish... among the best $$ can buy. The fret ends, neck and feel. Something a stock j bass won't do. To make your new fender jazz bass play and feel like this you would probably have to spend another $200-$300

3. Better quality components such as bridge, tuners, pots etc.. Add another $125.

4. better quality woods. First of all you can't even get a 5 string ash jazz bass and maple neck. An upgraded comparable jazz bass from fender would send you to the custom shop. This would cost you at least $3k

5. Sadowsky mojo... Priceless.

After you figure just the first 3 items, you are looking at an additional $725 plus installation. If you bought a new fender jazz it would be around $1000. This puts you at around $1725.

You're just about at the price of the metro, plus all the work and time put in to create an instrument.

I was looking at a fender jazz 5. By the time I do the upgrades, it will cost me as much as a Sadowsky

8. tommysalami

tommysalami

Jul 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    :cool: YEA! What Nino Said. You gotta play one to find out for yourself!

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    wow, i'm gonna miss pink - he was so entertaining
    anyhow, what everyone else said, (especially the fairy dust)
    nino brown here assembles basses from warmouth parts (which sadowsky does not), and other commercially available parts. I have yet to try one, but his customers say that his are among the best basses assembled from these parts available. so a good part of it is the professional assembly and fitting of the bass. Sadowsky was a setup and repair guy way before he started making basses, and peopel lined up for him just to work on their basses. And liek has been said before, the wood selection is a huge part of it. Most guys on sadowsky's level reject more wood than they accept because it's not the best tonally. I for one have tried a zillion jazz basses from fender and every other manufacturer under the sun. Just the feel of an NYC or metro is enough to sell you. Then you plug it in. Hard to put into words, but i guess "mojo" works as good as anything else.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I think it comes down to Quality at the end of the day and Sadowsky instruments take an A + every time.

11. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    What Pickebass said is totally correct, but I'll emphasize one or two points. First, the sound. We're making music here, and what a Sadowsky does is make beautiful music, when the player does his part. They sound wonderful, especially when you're playing with a group. They have a tone that makes for a full bottom without being boomy or indistinct, because they also have a strong, almost aggressive feel in the mids and highs without being harsh in any way. When I listen to tapes of my band, I'm always present and forceful in the mix, but not dominating or distasteful. To fully appreciate it, you have to hear it playing with other instruments.

Second, Roger's commitment to his work and his customers is top drawer. Whether you just call with a few questions, to order strings, or whatever, whomever you speak with in the shop is pleasant, helpful, and concerned about you. Oftentimes Roger himself picks up the phone, and you never feel rushed or unimportant. You really do feel treated the same whether you're just some regular guy like me or Will Lee. The combination of all the elements involved makes it a joy to be a Sadowsky owner.

12. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    It's really quite simple: They make great, solid basses.

This is the fairy-dust part:

Rodger is a good guy, very friendly and patient with his customers. He actually listens! When I still lived in NY, I would wander into the shop from time to time and he always took the time out no matter how busy he was to chat, let me try out his instruments and pick his brain. (that is alot more than I can say about some "other" boutique bass makers I have met) ;)

13. Is there any list kept of who is banned and why?

From time to time I see people marked as "Banned" or "Temp Banned", and even looking through their history, it's not always clear why.

I was just curious more than anything else.

14. My personal feeling is that not only is the version you're looking at worth it, I feel the NY models are as well. They sound fantastic, can't go wrong.

15. I second the pixie dust :D

16. I've emailed a couple of questions to Roger. He responded within a day and I've never even bought anything from him. Pretty impressive.

17. The answer to your question: S Y N E R G Y

LMAO! :D

18. squierplayer120

squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Why did pink get banned?

19. I didn't know he was banned. If he was banned, perhaps because his comments, while valid and opinionated, were expressed in an relatively inflammatory manner.

After reading some of his posts, look at what happened to my big toes:

[​IMG]

20. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I spent many dollars trying to find the best bass for me over the last few years. I always heard about the Sad's but couldnt understand why I should get one. It was basically a hand assembled Jazz copy, I thought. I tried them all. Spector, Fodera, MTD, Zon, Celinder, Roscoe, etc, etc, etc. All were good basses. Each in a different way. I was looking at Bass alone's website one day. He had a used Sad for sale. Nice cherry burst, quilt top 4 string. I put a deposit on it over the phone, drove down and got it on the weekend. It played awesome, never played a better jazz bass. I took it home with no real expectations. Had a rehearsal, took it with me. OMG!!!!! I was hooked for life. The Sadowsky denial was over. It thumped the whole room. My bandmates couldnt believe it, either. Every tone I dialed in was completely "musical" and enhanced the sound of the band. What a tone it produced. I ended up ordering another the next day.

I've had 12 total over the last few years and 3 presently. NYC 4 and 5, Metro 4. They just sound right. The preamp kills and you can dial in a tone in a snap. Light, beautifully constructed, flawless finishes and details, killer components, etc. Customer service, the best!! I'm treated like I'm on tour with Bon Jovi. What else can I say?

Most will say if you're looking for a Fender type bass, they are the best. I just say if you are looking for a great bass, get one. Doesnt matter the style you play, ability, or type of band you are in. They just work. Go for it

Rob