Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What makes a song un-nu-metal?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by kirbywrx, May 12, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Is it the blazing guitar solo in the middle, or what? Ive been to many forums, and listened to alot of "metal" and i really cant tell. Anyone care to tell me because i really am in a dilly of a pickle here.

:confused:

2. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    IMO if people can jump up and down to it then it is nu metal. Some "real" Metal contains jumping parts here and there but it not constant like most Nu-Metal is.

3. Nu-metal is defined, IMO, by excessive use of loud-soft/whisper-scream dynamics, simple detuned riffs, and a greater emphasis on rhythms than on riffs or melodies. Also, the vast majority of nu-metal lyrics are of a self-obsessed, "am I going crazy?" nature of which other musical forms are not so enamored.

4. A lot of nu-metal has rapped verses and sung choruses, often used with the soft loud variation between the verse and chorus too.

5. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Pants too loose = nu-metal
    Pants too tight = old-metal

:D

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Nail on the head.

My two cents is that nu-metal is the poppy version of metal. Thus, anything that is currently trendy is going to automatically be part of nu-metal.

7. Yup, nu-metal should be called pop-metal. I think the absence of actual riffs makes it nu-metal. To me, a riff is more than a simple three-power-chord thing played on a detuned guitar. IMO, detuning doesn't mean heavy. Listen to mid-80's metal; most of it was played in standard tuning yet it's heavy as sh*t!
    :bassist:

8. See, when I think "pop-metal," I think Def Leppard or Bon Jovi. So I'm just not sure.

9. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    That's old pop-metal though. Think of metal bands that keep up with current (popular) trends...

10. In my ears, to write a nu-metal song you need to follow three rules.
    1. For the most part, eschew any melody...rap, whine, or growl instead.
    2. Detune. A lot.
    3. Use very basic harmony. Usually you won't use any thirds, fourths, sixths, or sevenths.

11. Hey, thanks for the tip! Now we all know how to make lots of money without being very creative! :D ;)

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Nu-metal, I always that was a stupid name.

I think something like Alternative Metal would be better. Then again, if someone says the world Alternative Metal, I think more of bands like Helmet and Quicksand.

Either way, I'm not much of fan of, with the exception of a few bands like Stain'd and Static-x.

13. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Let me throw this in. Nu Metal, as opposed to "old" metal, features rapping or a rap-like quality to the vocals. Hence it is less melodic and more rythmic. Two fo the first nu-metal bands of note...Korn and Rage Against the Machine set the standard for what followed with whatever permutations that includes.

Nu metal songs have parts which particularly lend themselves to mosh pit fury.

In short, what Korn and Rage Against the Machine brought to heavy metal was the fusion of rap with heavy metal as it existed in the early 90s. That was a pretty exciting innovation at that time, but the onslaught of imitators, some of them pretty lame, tended to delute the power and impact of rap-metal fusion. By the way, it wasn't even called "nu metal" early on, as those who name genres of music fished around for an apt title.

A blatant Korn/ Machine Head/ Biohazard rip off band I played in at the time used the name "hardcore hip hop", though we had no real notion of what we meant. We just thought it sounded cool. (At least I did, as the title was my invention.)

I was surprised to later see bands such as Limp Bizkit use the nu-metal designation. That they called it "nu metal" and not "nu rap" must signify that their roots are more in allegiance with heavy metal than actual rap.

I often wonder what the next "nu" thing will be in heavy metal. Will it be another fusion of genres. or something genuinely new and exciting?

14. Boom!

15. *shrugs*

I don't care what you guys label the bands I listen to...

I like what I like,and thats it.

16. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    yep. That's how I see it.

RATM is one of my favorite bands.....they are my main inspiration to play bass really, and if they are nu-metal, which is just such a degrading term nowadays, then I just disagree with the whole idea of naming a type of music anything other then "rock" or whatever.

17. I agree...

I mean it's music...

like what you want!

18. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    I like Korn..I dont like feildy as a bass player. I can say this though. Hes not bad, hes not good, but hes deffinitly tight with David Silveria, thats for sure.
    Im not into the whole stoner with baggy pants talking about how they are depressed thing. I like there melodys and the drumming. Thats about it though.

19. Yeah I agree...

so what if his basslines aren't complicated?

I think he goes good w/ the band...

put he is not like my idol or anything.

and as for fashion and clothes go...I wear whats comfortable...

baggy sweat pants,and a hoodie...

I don't wear all that expensive ass stuff some people buy.

and I hate Hot Topic.

Call Me a Poser,I don't mind.

20. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Rick Allen could play guitar in a Nu-Metal band with no problems.

Aforementioned whale with prehensile penis (see OT) could play guitar in a Old-Metal band with no problems. Except maybe fitting into the spandex.