Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What makes a Spector sound like a Spector?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rusty Chainsaw, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Thanks to a fortuitous recent purchase from EvilBay, I am now a Spector convert! :D I'm loving the sound and the playability. But I'm still craving another custom Sei Bass... and I'm seriously considering getting one that would sound as close as possible to a Spector, with that hugely desirable growl! So, I'd like your thoughts on what the main ingredient in the Spector sound is - would it be the EMG pickups, the big brass bridge, the all-maple construction, the active circuit they use or some other "secret" ingredient? Or would it be all of the above?

Your opinions please...

Russ :bassist:

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Maple body and EMG electronics are the most important factors IMHO.

3. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    I'd say it's a combination of all of the above. The maple, the through neck, the big brass bridge and nut, the EMGs and the lurrrrrve.... ;) :) :smug: :p :D :bassist:

Having said that, my new Spector Euro LX has an alder/maple body and sounds even more punchy! :hyper:

4. I think it's the total harmonic coupling of your beer gut to the round-back body.

Yup.

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Got any pictures of that one cetera?

6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    The scale length has a huge amount to do with the tone of any guitar. What's the scale length?

Joe

7. I dunno what makes the spector sound.....all I know is, Spector+Ashdown+Hartke= Incredibly good punch and growl.

8. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Yes, but having problems with upload from my digital camera at the moment. :meh: I hope to post some soon :)

9. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Dependent on the bass model and the production era I believe they are all either 34" or 35" scale...

10. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    35" for the 5 strings. 34" with the 4's. I feel it's a combination of the woods, pups, and neck with the rosewood fretboard. My 5 Czech is deep and growly but yet cuts nicely when I want it too. It can be smooth and jazzy or punchy. The 4 strings sounds a little thinner and is slightly brighter. I would say the biggest difference comes from the larger neck on the 5 string which give it the richness in tone. Which Spector did you get?

11. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I met the rep from Spector back in 1996, and he told me the
    Wood they were getting was from the same Forest as the
    Stratavarius (spelling?) instruments were made from.

12. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I got a nice NS-5CR in nice shiny gloss black, back from about '97 (it's an SSD with dot inlays). Great bass, sounds huge! :) I have a bit of a weakness for exotic woods though, and since this bass, although it looks very snazzy in its shiny black clothes, doesn't have any wood on show, I feel the need for something a bit more extraordinary looking with the same sort of sound. I'd order a US NS-5 if I could afford it, but I can't, even with the great £-$ rate at the moment... so my local London custom shop of choice will get the job!

Russ :bassist:

13. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Nice! That's a great versitle gigging bass. Throw some DR Lowriders on that baby!

14. slicecom

slicecom

Oct 19, 2004
    Toronto
  15. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Buddy shipped me a Chec Spec when I first started playing bass to save me the trouble of years of searching for the right bass. He played US Spec 5's but had been impressed with this Spec 4. It had EMG PJ's and whatever preamp they stuck in them. The report on the bass was that it was actually made in the US as a prototype for Chec Specs. This guy knows his stuff and believed that to be accurate.

At the time, I was playing an Ibanez GSR 200 that I had dropped in a set of EMG PJ's with BTC 2 band preamp.

I strung the Spec with TI flats so I could do a side by side. In terms of tone, there wasn't enough difference between those basses to split hairs about. The Spec was a little brighter and had more sustain. Probably mostly related to the individual construction and acoustics of the bass. Seems the Spec was either an NT or set neck and Ibe bolt-on that was an acoustically dark bass. Don't remember the acoustic tone of the Spec. But the Ibanez was much more comfortable, about 2 1/2 lbs less in weight, and a lot cheaper.

I shipped the Spec back and I still have the Ibe. I've since bought and sold my share of basses and have done some mods and experimentation. In terms of the bass itself, from what I can gather, most the tone of a bass is in the pickups and the individual neck (which can vary dramatically with the same make/model bass). Strings can make a significant difference and onboard preamps some.