1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what makes an onboard preamp bad?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wyleeboxer, Apr 26, 2006.

1. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    I just ordered a pair of emg's, 40p and 40j for my Ibanez sr496 six string. Talked to rick at emg and he said the preamp in my bass should be ok, but Ive heard differently here that Ibanez electronics suck. I know the pups in this bass do (very low output and compressed sounding) which Ive heard here also. So the new emg's are on there way, but Im wondering how they will match up with the stock preamp and if not what makes these preamps so bad anyway, is it sound, freq range, or just plain bad quality? thanks

2. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Different tones are for different people. The only thing that I know of that makes a preamp "bad" is when the preamp is poorly produced and the frequencies are centered wrong or they're noisy.

3. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Anything that would affect an external preamp would apply to an internal one. As the prior post mentioned, noise, non-flat response ... in addition dynamics that distort the sound. It does make a difference. I moved from a noname Korean amp ($30 at guitarparts) to an OBP2 and the change is huge. Much more clarity and definition.

4. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    What if your not using the preamp so much just leaving it flat. Could the freq thats its centered around still dramatically effect your sound? Is there a good chance the preamp in my sr496 is probably killing the tone no matter what pups I put in it? Thanks.

5. The preamp is going to touch the tone, even if your settings are set to flat. Like someone said, different preamps provide different tones, and thats all about your opinion. Install the Pups, and see if you dig the tone. If you still feel more can be done, check out maybe Aguilar, or even EMG preamps

6. By the way, this needs to go in the "Pickups and Electronics" forums, not the "Basses." (Sits and waits quietly for a mod to move it....:ninja: )

7. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Thanks for the info. yeah I guess it does belong in the PU and electronics. I was thinking in terms of not just preamps but in my ibanez bass preamp as well? Sorry about that!