What makes and Urge sound so...urgent?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillyB_from_LZ, Sep 16, 2005.

1. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I have a MIA Urge I, 32 in. scale, etc. Its tone is rather metallic... Other than the scale length, neck and body are pretty conventional...seems as though it boils down to pickups and electronics (which might mean I'm in the wrong forum).

Any thoughts on why it sounds like it sounds?

Since I don't play it much, and have a few very modern sounding basses, I'm thinking of playing around with it and installing flats, making it passive, etc. to get a totally different sound that what I have in my other instruments...a kind of musicmaster/mustang bass on steroids type project.
  2. Hey Billy,

I owned a MIA Urge for awhile several years ago. From what I remember I really think the pickups have alot to do with the tone. I haven't followed the evolution of that bass but I assume yours also has the three-pickup arrangement that mine had? I know for a fact that the type of pickups, the placement, and the three-pickup arrangement had *alot* to do with the tone.

The bass had alot of cool features over standard Fenders, like the Assymetrical neck, the pickups, the Pau-ferro fretboard, the short scale, ability to switch to passive mode (if I remember correctly), etc. But like I said, I think the pickups do more to give it a unique tone than anything else...

3. Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    My friend-

That's the Stu Hamm bass, no? I'm sure it's gotta be electronics/pickup thing - those things sound similar to the tone he was getting in the era of Hamm's Kubickis on "Black Ice" - kind of a cold punch (hard to put into words). But I think some sort of major mods could be cool, especially mixing some Pino or Tony Levin inspired sound into your Hamm sandwich! ;)

4. Billy-
    I see you still have the Urge- So do i, my late model 91 Urge I bass that is.
    Like you I've learn to live w/ this metallic tone. I recall reading a review about the bass and too me its holds true.
    "You hear the electronics not the wood".
    This bass lacks warmth and depth that we normally associate w/ a great bass tone. I find you have to dial in low end, and mids w/ the preamp. Its a naturally trebley beast, but its lacks complexity in the tone.
    So everyones right, its the electronics, its the pickups, its the short scale, its the ultra light weight body.
    If you have a chance to play a Kubicki you'll see what a small downsized bodies bass w/ great electronics can sound like.