1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what makes it work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Worshiper, May 10, 2006.

1. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Can anyone tell me what, exactly, makes an amp work? upon playing bass tonight I was requested to stop because people were trying to sleep. I want to build something that I can plug right into my bass and to my ears without the bulk of the amp. Kinda like a jam-plug, but I want to try to build it out of some old amp parts I have lying around. Anyone got any advice?

2. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    Tom Scholtz, founder and lead guitarist of Boston is an MIT grad in engineering and has already beaten you to the punch, by about 20 years.. it's called the: Rockman http://www.superpage.com/riffs/desc_rockman.html

3. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I'm not trying to patent it though. I have seen them before. But they,re usually pretty expensive. I just want to make one. Anyonne got a schematics or anything?

4. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    How about an acoustic bass?

5. Someone made a Cigarette Pack Amp powed by a 9v battery. It may work for what you are trying to accomplish. Although I cannot remember who it was. (lots of help I am) You may think about just some powered headphones and a stereo to mono adapter.

6. Zachass

Zachass Peavey Partizan

My friend has one of those, i'm sure if you look around on the internet you can find a schematic.

7. the cig pack amps are made by Smokey Amps. I think they had to stop using Cig packs though. All of the current models are just in clear plastic.

8. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    THAT IS PERFECT! Thanks to everyone for the imput.

9. Get a stethiscope and duct tape it to your bass? Hahaha.

10. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I once built a mint-box amp using the popular headbanger circuit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. ric stave

ric stave

May 6, 2006
    Buffalo, NY

Funny thing is, I was going to say that! Years ago I taped a cheap Fisher Price set from a toy doctor kit onto a guitar, and it worked great!

12. Simply put, that is awesome.

13. thats pretty damb cool, i couldent even make a mute pedal, i ended up bleeding after about 2 hours, and then i felt sick from the solder fumes. im sure if you do a search you can find some diagrams.

14. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    My SWR Workingman 12 is designed so I can disable the speakers and plug headphones into a dedicated headphone jack. Works great.

I even feed an additional line into my Buttkicker amp/platform to use with headphones. Great quiet practice setup which I can use any time.

15. OK, I have a similar problem so I thought I would borrow this thread.

It would be really helpful if I could practice with headphones. My amp has a 'phones out socket, so that's not a problem.The problem is that if I wear headphones I can't hear my metronome, and I need my metronome.

So, does anyone know how I could build a plug-through electronic metronome that I could run between the amp and the 'phones? I've got some electronics know how (I reckon I could build the cigarette box amp above) so that should be ok. If such a product exists I'd also like to know, but for price and satisfaction reasons I'd like to build it.

Any ideas?

Cheers

16. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Get a metronome that makes a red dot... At practice we use the dot because you hear the click. It's hard to follow than a click track, prepares for the studio well.

17. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    How about plugging in the metronome into your other amp input (assuming you have 2 inputs, active and passive)?

18. I bought a used Pandora Box (PX3B or the newer 4B) and it has a built in metronome, but it also has a line in which I use to plug in a cd player, or my "good metronome" from time to time. It is also a fun tool to mess around with effects, although that is not my bag! You can get good deals on the bay.

19. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    BTW, I've got a Smokey Amp (in the Red Camel pack) and the reason that they stopped using cig packs is because they are running out of them. They rely on people donating empties in good shape, but with so few people smoking today, they don't get enough to have a good stock. I guess it's not the worst problem is it? :cool: