What makes one bass play so much better than another

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pigpen1, Jan 30, 2018.

1. pigpen1

pigpen1 Guest

Aug 2, 2017
    That's the question. I own 2 MIA 4 string Fender Jazz basses. One is a 2015 Am Std. The other is a 2011 American special. Same strings, same string height, same neck relief. The American Standard is a dream to play. Light action, no buzz anywhere. The Am Special, which just had a fret dressing kinda just plays like crap above the 10th fret and seems to have way more tension on the strings.

Like I said, setups are as identical. The only difference I can see is that for some reason the special has more relief around the 12th fret even if it is the same at the 8th (where I measure it).

Could the neck just be giving out? I bought it used and it was obvious that the previous owner didn't care too much about proper neck relief (it looked a little to much like a banana)

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021