1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What makes strings...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by beelzelboss, Apr 28, 2009.

1. What makes strings sound more trebly? Example: I had DR loRiders on my bass, then restrung them with Hi-Beams. I realize they are different strings but MAN these things are bright. Not only that but my bass is much more clanky when playing without an amp (i usually just eq it out). I have the same setup (like numbers and what not)... so whats makes them so different?

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Lots of things. I can't give you a scientific answer, but the type of core, the core to wrap ratio, and the type of metal used all make a difference. String makers use various combinations of these to get the sound they're looking for. Also, the shape of the outer wrap makes a big difference, i.e., round vs. flat vs. half-round, etc. I can't say exactly what makes Hi-Beams brighter than Lo-Riders, but I do know that Hi-Beams are built on a round core, and Lo-Riders are hex-core.

3. oh, so will they ever get not so trebly sounding. Like as far as clanky and stuff like that?

4. As they age, they'll lose that high end sparkle and "zing." Hi-Beams are also stainless steel strings... nickel would be warmer sounding, i.e. less treble (not necessarily that simple but true, nonetheless). Halfwounds, groundwounds, and to some degree, pressurewounds will help with some of the clank and string noise. Lastly, flatwounds will lack most of that high end that you're hearing... But the sound of flats is also totally different. It's not just gonna be less treble; it's gonna be a whole lotta thump.

Brian

5. OmegaBass16

OmegaBass16

Jul 15, 2008
    I have a question, just purchase a used fender jazz squier bass and with stock passive pups. I want to replace the strings but have no idea as to which brand to buy;halfwounds,
    groundwounds,flats, etc.,etc. I'm interested in a more punchy sound than these stock strings are putting out. What string gauge should the E string be, .125 ? Any suggestions would be grateful. Thanks in advance !!