What Makes that "PAH-DING" Sound ?!?!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rickbass, Nov 13, 2000.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

This bassist the other night who is in a fusion band playing second bill to Special EFX was playing a Jazz with a somewhat light touch, no pick, and everytime he worked on his A,D & G strings he got this "PAH-DING" sound. It was a real metallic, clear, glistening, or shimmering kind of sound. It didn't mask the notes, they just sounded "shiny" to me. I couldn't catch him to ask him if it was an aural enhancer. Does anyone have any idea what I might have heard ? If you think/know it was an aural enhancer, are there any available instead of the $200, rackmount Aphex ?
    Thanks so much, in advance.

[Edited by rickbass1 on 11-13-2000 at 03:32 AM]
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Maybe just fresh roundwound strings and the way he EQs the bass.

I've used enhancers and while they do work, the better the sound you feed into it, the less they can do for you. I don't like them on individual instruments, they can sound nice when mixing recordings, though.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Brian - Thanks so much for the reply. I've used Rotosound Swings for over a decade, among other roundwounds, and they NEVER sounded like this guy on my `70 Fender P, on a vintage Fender Jazz or my old Rick 4001. I mean this sound was practically sitting in the seat next to me, the presence and clarity were just that exaggerated. Did your enhancers get with crystal clarity like when you ping or flick a crytal water/wine glass with your index finger? If so, which brand(s) acheived that ?

[Edited by rickbass1 on 11-13-2000 at 04:07 PM]
  4. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    For what it's worth: Is there any possibility that he was using a Ring Modulator?

I borrowed a Moogerfooger Ring Mod some weeks back, just for kicks. When coupled with a digital delay, and some creative knob tweaking, a bell-like chime can be obtained.

I realize that this may be a longshot, but ?............
  5. Dox

Aug 17, 2000
    Millville, New Jersey
    Hey. On my Epiphone Accu Bass (P-Bass) I have a new set of Fender SUper Bass strings on it (45/110tw) and only two knobs. Master volume and treble/bass. If I turn teh treble up I can get a very metallic sound. So I agree with what was said early. It is probably fresh strings and the EQ.