1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What makes the FOH/Venue happy?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by MicRidley, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Hey forum-lurkers,

What kind of things would you say generally make the sound guy happy? The idea here is to make everyone's job easier, as well as leave a good impression. So good that he will tell the owner that you were easy to work with at the end of the night.

I still consider myself a huge nooby when it comes to live stuff. Therefore I am going to continue leaning on you road worn warriors a bit.

But I figure that it's best to know these things for future gigging prospects as well as for the sake of making everything run smoothly.

Thanks in advance,
    Mic

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    As far as keeping the FOH happy...

-Good vocal technique
    -Not being a prima donna over monitors
    -Good vocal technique
    -Having reasonable stage volume and good stage sound - that means tuned drums, gear that doesn't hiss and hum, strings that actually have a little bit of life to them, no stupid EQing, and no solid-state Crate amps with the gain maxed
    -Good vocal technique
    -No noodling during sound check
    -Good vocal technique
    -Not constantly changing stage volume
    -Good vocal technique
    -Consistent kick drum attack
    -And did I mention good vocal technique

DWBass, 40Hz, DirtDog and 1 other person like this.
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    If you want to keep sound people happy:

Don't noodle.
    Don't argue.
    Trust them.
    Tip them.

And get your sheit off the stage quickly when you're done.

10cc, sm49341, ImNotJoel and 2 others like this.
  4. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    Some things i have learned:

-Treat them with respect
    -Thank them for their work
    -Get the hell out of their way when they are trying to setup mics and such
    -Keep your volume levels static throughout the show if possible
    -Let them direct the sound check

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  5. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Provide a stage plot.
    Have good, reliable gear.
    Know your gear inside and out.
    Know your sound.
    Be able to communicate effectively.
    Be on time and ready for soundcheck.
    Listen to their suggestions.
    Thank them for a job well done.

6. Don't play while they're setting up mics and are near the amps.

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I do both (bass and sound).

The biggest thing I run into is this. Your favorite rehearsal space or bedroom tone may sound like crap in a live mix. (That goes for all instruments, not just bass.)

I have read here a lot that "It is the sound guy's job to make MY sound FIT into the mix." That's fine as long as physics doesn't disagree.

If you do a little of those shows where there are half a dozen acts back to back to back then try this. Most of them are provided back line gigs. Have a preamp or your pedal board ready to go so they can run an XLR from that quickly and go with it. If you have to walk up and plug in all of your stuff (preamps and pedals and whatnot) and THEN dial in a provided amp and THEN expect the sound guy to mic it and dial that in...... that will take forever. Be prepared to go through your stuff quickly and just use the amp on stage as a monitor.

ASK THE SOUND GUY IF HE NEEDS ANYTHING FROM YOU....MORE.....LESS....EQ.....WHATEVER. I can't turn mud into magic.

Then, once you master all of that, remind your guitarists that bands are looking for bass players every day. If they want to play bass, go play bass and leave the low frequencies to bass players. Drop tuned guitars with the bass turned to 11 are one of the hardest things I ever had to blend.

s0c9 likes this.
  8. sm49341

sm49341

May 12, 2013
    Michigan
    The soundman we used always loved that I went direct no eq into board. He liked that I used a bass compressor. We didnt have any rack mount main system compression at the time. Yes, the noodling, the prima Donna stuff too. Basically be cool. Let him do his job, and trust him.

9. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    Yeppers on the tip. I usually give him a tip directly after sound check. Most always before the show.

10. samson3382

samson3382

Apr 26, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    So much this.
    Let him know you want to work WITH him/her.