1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What makes THIS bass sound so good? Zon import standard / Electronics ? Body ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jibreel, Oct 31, 2010.

1. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Played a Zon Standard 4 string import bass yesterday.

Man, it sounded GREAT?? So clear from the lowest notes to the highest. Very nice electronics.

Here is the Zon link: http://zonguitars.com/zonguitars/imports/
    I played the 4 string on the right.

Is it the electronics? Having tried many of the high end pickups, I have not tried SD.

Is it the maple body? Not trying to start the tonewood battle.

I know, totally subjective etc etc. If anybody has any comments, specifically SD electronics or maple body effects it would be appreciated.

Anyway, if this had been fretless [ they won't make import fretless basses ] I would have bought it.

Here are some quotes from a thread Scubduba started.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I've never played a Zon that didn't sound phenomenal. I've never played one of their imports though, I always figured the graphite neck was the major piece of the puzzle.

3. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Wondering if THESE are made in the same factory? Look very similar. Strangely, everyone was very down on these before anyone had played them as where everyone was really pumped about the ZON before having played them.... only difference is Name-Brand pickups....

4. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Not the same. Try both and you'll probably agree there is a huge difference.