What makes up a bass guitar?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Is it just the pickups, or is there some computer chip inbedded into the body that we can't see?

Because if it's just the pickups..then couldn't we just buy new pickups instead of spending $600 for a new bass other than for looks?
  2. Prepare your brain to get its learn on...
  3. What you say about ma momma?
  4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    where to start... I don't even know how far I could go with this.. I am a bit scared to find out...

Pickups aren't everything. Yes, they produce the sound signal. But the body woods, body size, neck woods, and fingerboard woods all efffect the resonance of the bass itself, which in turn affects the signal percieved by the pickups, which create the sound.

Workmanship is another thing. A crappy bass is a crapy bass. A crappy bass with new pickups is still a crappy bass, but with new pickups. If the neck is uncomfortable, it is still crappy even with new pickups. If the fretboard is falling off, it is still crap. If the frets are unleveled or too high, it is still a crappy bass.

The feel is another thing. When playing bass, the bass stopps being a hunk of wood and metal and plastic. IT becomes an extension of the body. Different people have different comforts. Some like a bigger body, some like it smaller. Some like a heavier bass, some like it lighter. Some like small thin necks, some people like wide, thick necks.

Some people just get bored with their bass, and decide to get a new one.

Some people want to expand their horizons, moving to an multi string bass. Or down again to a 4 after years of a multi.

Some people want to go fretless. Some wanna go back fretted.

Some people want a green bass, not a blue bass.

The bass so much more than the pickups.

Saying that a bass is just whatever pickups are in it is like saying that someone's voice is all in their vocal chords.

Someone's voice depends on their vocal chords, as well as their diaphragm, their lungs, their throat shape, their mouth shape, their chest size, and so on.

And there is no computer chip inside the bass... except for lightwaves, but that is a different story.

Anyone wanna add onto that?
  5. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    d'ohh! TBB beat me to it :p

Different synergies of materials for a different voice. It's A bass, not a choir.

As far as looks?, that's a whole `nother can o' worms. Eye of the beholder, yadda-yadda.
  6. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    *points and laughs* HAHA I beat you :p

One thing though... what's a synergy?

I act smart and give that whole long explanation of what makes a bass, and then one word in the post after it makes me look dumb again. Thanks a lot :rolleyes:

7. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    sow-wy :)

It's one of those corporate buzz-words that become part of one's
    daily vocabulary after having worked in said mind-numbing arena
    for 20+ years :rolleyes:.

Here's the Webster's version :D...
  8. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    . DR Strings:D That what`s make a difference:)
  9. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    GHS bass boomers for me, thank you :D

Strings are like looks. To each his own.
  10. Hey what the heck!? I posted here yesterday and now it's gone. There wasn't anything explicit about it...

Anyway. Thanks guys. :cool: