Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What makes your bass unique?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowfreqfreak, Dec 2, 2003.

1. lowfreqfreak

lowfreqfreak

Jul 1, 2001
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses, GHS Strings
    Hey all-
    I have a Warwick Corvette Standard 5. Just wondering what modifications, or unique adjustments (any whatsoever) you have made to your basses to get a unique sound.

2. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    Swapping out the pickups & or preamp will give you the most results.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, the fact that mine's the only 'vintage' Mexican I've ever seen! If it weren't for the headstock, you'd swear it's vintage!

[​IMG]

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    SO far my basses are stock but as soon as i get the money, im puittin Seymour Duncans in my essex.

5. mslatter

mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
    What makes my bass unique?

It's finished with chalkboard paint. I can (and do!) write on it before and during shows.

I was in the middle of a refin on the bass when my other one was stolen. Finding myself with two days to complete the refin job before a gig, and a can of chalkboard paint I'd used to make a board for my kids, I went for it. I'd joked about doing it prior to getting my other bass stolen, but I hadn't considered it seriously until then. Other nutso options: spray paint that looks like hammered metal (I've used this on a bed with great results) and a can of paint that's called... "Suede It."

I like it. It's unique. But it's starting to bubble wear my sweat's dripped on it, so I'll probably end of refinishing it in more traditional lacquer some time next year.

6. What makes my bass unique?

The dings on the headstock from when I accidentally donk it on the doorway.

The way that no other bass feels just right, the way mine does.

The way my bass is special to me, that's what makes it unique. :)

7. Aside from that sappyness, I've modded my bass just a little; I've relocated the back strap-lock so it sits parallel to the front one.

Every time I change the strings (once a month, or so) I clean my bass thoroughly, wax the body, polish the frets, so when I put on a new set of strings it feels brand new.

I'm going to be installing a Kahler trem around christmas, I'm going out to order one tonight. :D

8. In my 82 schecter P-bass I added a Gibson EB-O pickup.

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    It has dings from me smashing it on my SWR LA-15. :D

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Billy Sheehan fan? :p

11. ...hmm...my bass USED to have a Chiquita sticker on the upper horn...but no more. I'd say that's it...I use flatwounds...yeah...

12. the_faceless666

the_faceless666

Mar 3, 2003
    Canada
    The fact that I play it...
    The player changes everything, don't let people make you think the opposite way.

13. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Hey, Brilliant Fool, from whence do you plan to order your Kahler?

14. Actully, not really, I just liked the Idea.

15. it has 3 ounces of heroin hidden in the control cavity.

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What makes my basses unique? Because unlike all of the other basses in the world, they are mine.

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I hide mine in the pickup routes.

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I have the only 4 string fodera monarch made with the type of pick ups I have.

19. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I made a competition stripe out of black and white electrical tape. Thats pretty much it.

20. I'd really like to see some pics of these basses. Got any?