1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What makes your state great?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Keger Jupit, Mar 15, 2019.

1. I've been going thru the Amazing Pics thread, which is awesome all you contributors, & after posting some of my home state of Oregon, I thought maybe a home state thread might be fun. Pictures, cool places, stories, history...nothing specific I guess.

I've traveled to every state this side of the Rockies, but only a few on the other side (Louisiana, Texas, Alabama, Virginia, & Washington D.C.). So I'm curious about what others enjoy/hate/love/dread about their state.

I'll start by re-posting the pictures I put in the Amazing pics thread...because I'm feeling lazy right now : )

I will say this; Oregon doesn't have the best of any one thing, but we sure do have a bit of EVERYTHING!

Oddly and GregC like this.
  2. [​IMG]

Crown Point, Columbia River Gorge, the great PNW!!!!

PWRL, MattZilla, Oddly and 2 others like this.
  3. [​IMG]

Another Oregon gem...Newberry Crater & it's giant obsidian flow. As the aerial view shows, it's rather large. Very interesting place to visit. In fact, all of central Oregon is rather breathtaking.

Oddly and GregC like this.
  4. [​IMG]

This one is self-explanatory...

Oddly, GregC and Gazman like this.
  5. [​IMG]
    Railway bridge in the foreground, auto bridge in the background. Hwy 97, at the Peter Ogden State Scenic Park.

GregC likes this.
  6. [​IMG]

This one needs no introduction, but for those who don't know, I give you Crater Lake National Park.

7. [​IMG]

Here she is in her winter attire...

CatchaCuda, Oddly, GregC and 2 others like this.
  8. [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Yep, Oregon's got painted hills, too. This last shot is overlooking a much larger area, known as the John Day Fossil Beds.

Oddly, GregC, Gazman and 2 others like this.
  9. Here's some more of Oregon, this time focusing on the coast...

Enjoy!

[​IMG]

Haystack Rock ^

[​IMG]

Hug Point ^

[​IMG]

Samuel Boardman State Park ^

[​IMG]

Bandon by the Sea ^

[​IMG]

Devil's Punchbowl ^

[​IMG]

For some perspective, inside the Punchbowl; not me, but this couple timed their wedding just right between tides! ^

Oddly, GregC, DirtDog and 1 other person like this.
  10. These 3 are all close together. The first is the most photographed place on the Oregon Coast, Heceta Head Lighthouse.

[​IMG]

There are better pictures out there. This is about 100 ft. away from the Sea Lion Caves, a fairly neat tourist attraction...if you can stand the smell!

These next 2 are Cape Perpetua Overlook; the 1st from the trail, where you can see Devil's Churn & it's trail at the bottom, & if you squint really hard, you can see Thor's well & the Spouting Horn. The 2nd is the Overlook itself, on the Whispering Spruce trail, 262 ft above the Pacific. I looked a Coast Guard heli-pilot in the eye at that very location as he flew hard off the deck, straight up the side of this hill, & rotated hard south from there. Big smile on his face, he definitely did it for show...Semper Paratus!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JRA, Oddly, GregC and 1 other person like this.
  11. [​IMG]

S-Bigbottom, dwm74, JRA and 4 others like this.
  12. Ha ha, a classic! I forgot to ask everybody to post what state they're from, but only if you're comfortable with that. I realize some may under Witness Protection...

13. A friend is talking to me about moving to Oregon.

The pics you are posting make a great argument for moving.

S-Bigbottom, Oddly, GregC and 2 others like this.
  14. [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

Here's a few pics of Devil's Churn, but I can't find anything that comes remotely close to capturing the beauty/scary/power of this place. It's an inlet 100-150 yards long (I'm guessing) that terminates in a cave underneath HWY 101. The waves are crazy awesome, but the noise & sound is quite intimidating. As the water rushes back out, what sounds like 1,000 bowling balls getting tossed around are actually boulders. You can walk right down & next to the whole thing, but if you take kids, be careful! If you fall in...

GregC likes this.
  15. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Can a Canadian province play?

The obvious one is Niagara Falls - the Ontario side, the more famous side - properly known as Horseshoe Falls. But....meh. Very touristy.

Ontario - being 50% larger than Texas - has a wealth of things that make it great. Vast forests and lake lands, diamond mines, gold mines, fertile farmlands, big cities, home to Canada's capital, badlands, a desert, province covered by most of the Canadian Sheild. The list goes on. I've been to every corner of this province - including up North. I've seen everything on offer.

The province borders on four of the five Great Lakes (Lake Michigan is out), the St. Lawrence River AND Hudson's Bay. Almost 2,400 miles of coastline. Which bring me to this - this place is my favourite by a long shot!

Cove Island Lighthouse off the tip of the Bruce Peninsula, Lake Huron/Georgian Bay. A key part of the Fathom Five Marine Park .

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Keger Jupit, Richland123 and GregC like this.
  16. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    The best thing about Illinois is the rich music scene. Everyone knows Chicago hosts some world class blues and jazz acts, but really the entire region of Northern Illinois sees prime examples of every type of music imaginable. Country, prog rock, experimental, every sub genre of metal, folk music, Americana, classical, electronic, etc.. they're all here, and much more.

So many musicians complain they can't earn more than chump change playing music where they li8ve. Venues simply don't have the budget to pay part time, hobby bands, no matter how talented they may be. But where I live in Illinois, even cover bands just starting out can make $300 - $500 per gig. Established bands can make several times that, while full time professional bands playing private functions or larger festivals make thousands per show and care in high demand.

GregC likes this.
  17. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    Tennesseee is fine.

18. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Trick question, right? Actually some good scenery here and there...

19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Connecticut is great because we..... are in close proximity to both New York and Massachusetts :meh:

20. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Socio-economic factors make my state a real dud...not to mention the fact that one relatively small (but highly populated) area drags the rest of the state down. That being said, there are some redeeming factors in NY:

moneyshot.JPG