1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What material is used to Build light cabs??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by otherclef, Jan 1, 2012.

1. otherclef

otherclef

Aug 10, 2011
    Charleston
    Does anyone know what type of boards/composites are used to build the light weight cabs like MarkBass... etc.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I used 1/2" Baltic birch plywood, and am pleased with the results. Composites seem like too much of a labor of love.

3. .
    I'm pretty sure I read on their website somewhere what sort of plywood they use.
    Go have a look there.

Greg

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    BB is one of the heavier plywood varieties. Italian Poplar is considerably lighter, but much harder to find. Arauco radiata pine is in between the two in weight, and fairly common. As for thickness, if you use the right construction even 1/2" isn't required. I use 1/4 and 1/8 inch in my Jack Lites. I agree that composites are beyond the pale for the average builder.

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
  6. Robby Hoinsky

Robby Hoinsky

Dec 28, 2010
    New Haven, CT
    Art of Noise Audio, fEARful™ builder
    The only way to achieve extreme weight reduction is by using composites. We use XPS foam core with fiberglass cloth and epoxy skins, but you can also use XPS foam with 1/8" plywood skins with good results. You can make the boards yourself simply by using contact cement to laminate the boards to the foam.

Otherwise, Italian Poplar is the lightest option while still maintaining some semblance of stiffness.

Robby

7. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Using thinner but more thoroughly braced plywood is another option. 1/4 baltic birch is quite a bit lighter than 1/2" arauco for example, even after all is said and done with the bracing.

The downside is that it can be a big challenge to go that thin for some cab designs.

8. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Markbass says they use Italian popular.