What material should I work on to improve my skill?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by violentmog, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Hey everyone, I've been playing bass for about 2 years and I was just wondering what material do you guys reccommend to help improve my skill. I've just been messing around with tabs and then jazz band at school. Thanks.
  2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

By material what do you mean? Specific music? Books? Instruction videos? Techniques such as slapping, tapping, string bending, string muting?
    Different genres of music such as reggae, country and Western, nu-metal, bossa nova, showtunes, etc.?
  3. Books, specific bands, specific music that will be suited to a player with my experience and that will probably prove benificial to my playing. Does that help at all?
  4. The one thing you can do is just make a concious effort to practice regimented excercises every day to learn your intervals, scales, and arpeggios in every key. While you are doing this you try to focus on the tone induced by your playing style, your time, your dynamics and your tempo. Use the the things you learn about your playing (from the excercises above) and adapt it to your everyday playing and songwriting. Play your strengths, but practice your weaknesses. Try playing with other people as much as possible. Listen to Jaco, Stuart Zender, Victor Wooten, Pual Chambers, Aston Barret, Bach and everyone else that you possibly can. Learn to read music.
    ...Unfortunatley a vague question can only afford a vague answer.

Just practice ;)
  5. To start off make sure you know all of the basics:
    Scales (Major and Minor)
    The Key Signatures
    The Circle of 5th
    Major and Minor Triads
    Major 7 chords
    Dominant 7 chords
    Minor 7 chords
    Augmented 7 chords
    Major 6 chords
    different BASIC progressions (I-IV-V things like this in every key)
    and the different modes of the major scales
    If you got all of this then you are doing really well.
    good luck and hope this helps direct you in the right direction.