1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what matters most...?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Sigshooter226, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Sigshooter226

Sigshooter226

Oct 31, 2016
    Aurora, Co
    So, "Cutting through the mix" is something we see here in abundance. That phrase seems to be everyone's goal here. My question is....Is it really more important that we make ourselves heard over everyone and be greedy with sonic space, or more important that we have a decent tone that allows the band as a whole to be the spotlight of the evening and not just you?
    Asking for a friend ;)

armybass and Eric Bates like this.
  2. This is stupid.

3. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    It's being heard with the band and not getting buried behind the band.
    It's not about being the loudest instrument.

4. Sigshooter226

Sigshooter226

Oct 31, 2016
    Aurora, Co
    Says the guy that wastes his time posting in a thread he could care less about. :thumbsup:

5. Sigshooter226

Sigshooter226

Oct 31, 2016
    Aurora, Co
    Even if you were buried, would the fundamental frequencies not be there? Meaning, even if you had a crappy mix, and you stopped playing, wouldn't people notice?

6. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Yes.
    Some people are fine with that.
    Some people are not.
    Some bands want that.
    Some bands don't.

7. This is a rhetorical question posed as a thread aimed at an I would assume egomaniac. How is what we say on here going to help you at all?

8. Sigshooter226

Sigshooter226

Oct 31, 2016
    Aurora, Co
    I am asking because it makes everyone sound like its all about them. Not the band as a whole and I wanted to know if there is truth to it. Personally, I want to support the band and blend in with everyone.

9. How could you doubt if there's any truth to what you're saying? Of course anyone who is remotely decent at critical thinking will agree with you. People could agree with you till the cows come home. How does it help your situation? You're trying to convince someone to turn down their levels?

The problem is that you're using logic and reason against an emotional thinker. You probably won't break through but I do wish you the best of luck.

Kickass likes this.
  10. Sigshooter226

Sigshooter226

Oct 31, 2016
    Aurora, Co
    I want to know if people are that vain. Besides, Its my question to ask.

11. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    It's not just about me, and my dream of doing nothing.

12. jking138

jking138

Oct 6, 2013
    I think there are a few misunderstandings here.

To 'cut through' doesn't mean 'to be louder than everyone else'. If you want to be hear clearly then you need to cut through.
    If you want to support the band then you don't need to cut but you still need to be loud enough to be heard/felt.
    There are many frequencies that overlap such as the kick drum, guitars, key boards. So it is about finding your own sonic space, some people don't understand this and simply turn up their volume. This is not only about bass but the band working as a whole to achieve and effective balance between instruments to create a good overall sound.
    This all changes depending on your style of music.

pcake, zenrad, baxter_x and 2 others like this.
  13. The problems exist within my friend. People will act as people act. Judgement doesn't help.

14. Sigshooter226

Sigshooter226

Oct 31, 2016
    Aurora, Co
    How am I judging by asking for the facts? If I said SlyFoxtrot is a vain butthole because he says its all about his mix only, I would be judging. Im asking a simple question.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  15. Sigshooter226

Sigshooter226

Oct 31, 2016
    Aurora, Co
    I feel like this about it....If you have a decent band mix and everything is how it should be, you will be heard and more than likely felt yes? Yes. What I am saying is guys that crank the mids, and do everything they can to standout from everyone else. Why are we not content with just doing the job and supporting the rest of the band? I suppose it sounds like we want to be the highlight of the show. That's how the perception is.

16. "Are people really that vain?"

You sound like a six year old asking if Santa's really real. The longer this thread continues the more respect you'll lose. I'm done.

Lvjoebass and HolmeBass like this.
  17. Sigshooter226

Sigshooter226

Oct 31, 2016
    Aurora, Co
    Well, Since you're sensitive, let me rephrase just for you.
    Dear Slyfox,
    Why do some bassists here want to be the highlight of the show and not be content merely supporting the band? You know, like there instrument is supposed to be used for?

18. jking138

jking138

Oct 6, 2013
    Some just like a prominent mids sound, take Geddy Lee for example.
    In a 3 piece you have more room to fill and he does take a lead role and the guitar is more rhythm based.
    If you play country then you probably are aiming for just a supporting sound.

There are so many different styles of music and tastes it is difficult to use such a huge generalization and apply it to everybody.

19. JRA

JRA where did the time go? Supporting Member

i don't think that anyone who uses the term "cutting through the mix" is advocating "greed" within the "sonic space." that said: it's an overused, almost meaningless term: because the bass instrument 'shows up' differently at every gig/venue. a lot of TB posters don't gig at all and most don't gig much. cutting through the mix often means 'at rehearsal' (where you may need it the most!).

whoops --- i see you and SlyFoxtrot are at it...good luck to you both! :thumbsup:

20. Sigshooter226

Sigshooter226

Oct 31, 2016
    Aurora, Co
    It Seems every thread I read is about cutting through rather than sitting in. To my ears, Rush is still very balanced.