1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What, me worry? (with poll)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Nov 5, 2018.

1. No, you're free to use the mfr. coupons as you see fit!

46 vote(s)
    80.7%
  2. Yes, you were taking advantage of the store!

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. Should have bought carrots!

8 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. Long story short:
    got 7-1/2 lbs. of pork ribs (pre-prepared) for half-price

National chain supermarket, marked down 40% (clearance)
    I've got coupons for an additional $1 off per 20 oz. packet

Inside each packet is another coupon, so I ripped them out of there & took those back into the store for two more, and again.

On the 3rd trip through the register the manager is standing there looking over my coupons as if they're counterfeit or something. Really examining them & making sure I see this.

Transaction won't go through, so they tell me it's because my bank blocked a duplicate transaction.
    I gleefully say "No Worries!" & whip out my other bank debit card.

We just finished chowing down on two packets, & in retrospect I think I bought too much, LOL!

2. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Well you may get indigestion, but as far as I can see you simply took advantage of a good deal. Well played!

pcake, Clark Dark, Pbassmanca and 3 others like this.
  3. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

If you want pre-prepared pork ribs, have a ball. I prefer smoking 'em myself, but that's a personal problem. So, carrots it is.

fhm555, pht2356 and Pbassmanca like this.
  4. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Unless the fine print on the coupons prohibits what you did, I don't see a problem. Except maybe you'll soon be very sick of pre-prepared supermarket pork ribs.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I fully support taking advantage of a business not being smart. Not smart bad.

6. How do you get them in the little papers?

ak56, EatS1stBassist, BurnOut and 3 others like this.
  7. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Tweezers and vaseline.

EatS1stBassist and 5StringBlues like this.
  8. I'm sure that's what the manager was looking for on the coupon, some of sort of exclusional caveat.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I wouldn't begrudge a store manager for doing their job, verifying authenticity and validity of coupons.
    You were obviously legit and honest, but I can only imagine the amount of people who forge coupons. It's unfortunate how many people ruin it for those who have honest intentions.

-Mike

10. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Coupons is coupons, if there is no small print you did nothing wrong. I take advantage of every legitimate discount I can. Sometimes I will go through a whole list at the cash register. "Do you give ... discounts?" It is cool how many times I get a discount just for asking. Senior discount, AAA, San Francisco Bicycle coalition or anything else I can think of.
    I also don't mind getting spam in my email so I sign up for discount cards whenever I can. I also love the Bed Bath and Beyond coupons I get in the mail. The store near me sells more types of thing than I imagined. My wife and I will some times split up our purchases to take full advantage. They also don't care about the expiration dates on the coupons.

Gaolee, Pbassmanca and MJ5150 like this.
  11. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

what-me-worry-MAD.~c200.

12. I would have asked for the senior discount, too, but that's just me.

btmpancake, pht2356, slobake and 2 others like this.
  13. Yango

Yango

Apr 14, 2008
    Earth
    IMG_1228.JPG

14. Way to go!

Vacationing at Yellowstone once many years ago. Picked up a roll of film in the gift shop. (Film, yeah I said it many years ago.) Had a coupon inside the box for a significant discount on your next roll. Well it’s Yellowstone and I’m burning through the celluloid like crazy. After about my fourth trip to the gift shop the manager started questioning what I was doing.
    Well it’s Yellowstone, I’m a photo nut and a cheapskate. Am I the only person buying film in your shop? Are you questioning everyone who buys film here and comes back with the coupon? There are no restrictions on using these coupons. If you don’t want me to do this then you better pull all of this film off the shelf. Nuff said.

pht2356, slobake and Killed_by_Death like this.
  15. Eating that last bit of ribs will be much like eating crow, LOL!
    Maybe tomorrow I'll go give them some of their money back by buying a large bottle of barbecue sauce.

Sort of ironically, someone in the family has a job interview there tomorrow.

EatS1stBassist, JMacBass65 and PWRL like this.
  16. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Reminds me of the pudding scam Adam Sandler pulled in Punch Drunk Love.

17. That frequent flyers miles thing came to me, but it wasn't a scam.

48thStreetCustom likes this.
  18. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    Are pre-prepared pork ribs cooked before butchering the animal?

19. The coupon inside the package is an inducement to buy again. He did. Twice. The coupons worked.

The store had a 40% clearance sale. That really worked but it gave KBD pork rib fever. He may never recover and wander the Earth forevermore groaning "40% plus a buck a pound off pork ribs, aaarg'' over and over.

Clark Dark and slobake like this.