1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What, me worry? (with poll)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Nov 5, 2018.

1. No, you're free to use the mfr. coupons as you see fit!

46 vote(s)
    80.7%
  2. Yes, you were taking advantage of the store!

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. Should have bought carrots!

8 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

We shouldn't rib KDB. He's very sensitive you know. :D

shadowtippy likes this.
  2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Yeah, I think you were being greedy. Coupons (and/or store policy) generally say only use once.

3. The manufacturer credits the retailer on the ''come again'' coupons redeemed. KBD used each once. What do you mean by "only use once"?

4. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Some discounts are only allowed to be used once. I haven't seen this coupon.

What I find sad is that people seem almost gleeful about the fact that someone may be taking advantage of a mistake. If it was an individual making the sale, I doubt the sentiment would be the same.

5. What mistake? KBD revisted the store with the 40% discount offer with coupons from his previous purchase. Seems simple and straightforward to me. The store didn't lose out at all. They get credited for the manufacturer coupons redeemed.

6. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    :sour:
    ribs being the close cousins of bacon KBD could've shared the name of the ribs and the food chain that has/had them on sale so we all can rejoice
    :cool::D

slobake likes this.
  7. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Dude? You find it sad? A statement like that is a little out of character for you. I think you are a good guy, I have learned things from you and I value your opinion. A statement like that seems a tad judgemental.
    It is a large chain I think they will be okay, and chances are @Killed_by_Death will continue to shop there and they will recoup whatever they have lost plus some. The ribs were marked way down, I wonder why? I'm sure there is a good reason. A surplus? The end of summer? A discount from the supplier? Marketing?
    I wouldn't outright steal from a large store at this point in my life but I might if I was starving. I still watch my change and return some if it is too much and ask about it if it is short. I have also dealt with large chains here in San Francisco. When I had a wholesale bakery they wanted me to pay them to put my products on their shelves. The cost was way more than I could pay. Now I know why you don't see products from small independent companies on the shelves of those stores. Those stores are not stealing from small businesses but they certainly aren't helping them out either. No one forced me to sell my products at those stores but not selling there made it much more difficult to compete with the large bakeries. That is just the way it is. Sometimes, I still shop at those stores and I take advantage of every discount I can, that is just the way it is as well. I also choose to spend my money at smaller independent grocers whenever possible, I want to support them when I can.

wesonbass and Clark Dark like this.
  8. I'm sure that's what the store manager was looking for on the coupons, but I had already read through that & found no limitation.

9. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    It may have been OP simply getting a great deal, or it may be that the employee made a mistake.

My point is that some people seem almost to gloat that OP may have found a way to take advantage of a store in a way it may not have been intended, simply because it is a faceless corporation. It's more the attitude I get from some of the statements. As I said, I did not see the coupon, so I don't know the exact situation. A corporation is owned by individuals, and employs individuals.

I own two small businesses. I often make quotes through emails or phone calls, and there have been times there has been a misunderstanding by the customer as to the price. When that happened, I honored what they thought, even when I ended up losing money on the deal.

10. If an employee made a mistake, they've made the same mistake in two stores.

I just finished the third pack, with the help of a little Chick-Fil-A barbecue sauce.

Taking someone for a job interview at another one of their stores this afternoon & I'll be taking my two remaining coupons down there in cause they've got more ribs on clearance.

wesonbass and Clark Dark like this.
  11. Pork is on sale this time of year because farmers don't want to have to buy feed for them over the winter.
    KBD, I think you did good! Now whether or not the ribs are at everyone's own personal standard is another thing. I'm fussy about ribs and would choose to make my own, but I can see how they would be appealing if you don't have the means to BBQ or the inclination to cook them in the oven.
    And dangit, make your own BBQ sauce! It's really easy!
    Fishheadjoe

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  12. It's also easy to just hold onto the little sauce packets from restaurants. The Chick-Fil-A sauce came with some nuggets.
    I've got a medium-sized cup of chili sauce here for the next round. I got it with some Dragon Wings last week. Ghost Chili Pepper sauce.

Come to think of it, I'll get some more of that sauce tomorrow for Wing Wednesday.

wesonbass likes this.
  13. I have some home made hot sauce made by a friend who is Trinidadian. I don't know what kind of peppers they use, but I have named the sauce "A$$bleach" for reasons I'm sure you can gather.
    Fishheadjoe

14. The local Japanese steakhouse has a Singaporean owner & he makes the spiciest sauce I've ever experienced & I've tasted some doozies.
    He won't tell us what's in it & the label on the jars are just random condiments from China.

I put a tablespoon in some buffalo wing sauce a while back & it lit that stuff up but good!

Was looking into making my own barbecue sauce, but instead got two bottles of a spicy-honey sauce, & combined with some ghost chili powder sauce.
    I slathered that over the top before baking.

Update:
    They were SO good with that sauce that I went to the two remaining local stores & bought all their clearance ribs also.
    That's 15 lbs. of ribs for $60.

Coincidentally I passed by the local Rib restaurant on the way home.
    Yes, we have a restaurant with "ribs" right in the name.
    Their special is half a rack + 2 sides for $13,
    or 1/3 rack with 1 side for $6.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    ak56 and Clark Dark like this.
  15. I don't get it at all. Why is there any controversy over redeeming coupons?

KBD took coupons in to buy ribs. The store took those coupons as cash, gets a credit from whoever is doing the promotion.

The ribs came with more coupons.

KBD took those coupons and bought more ribs with them just like the manufacturer meant him to do. The store gets a credit from the manufacturer / distributor.

The store 40% is neither here nor there except KBD has definitely got a major case of rib fever.

Who lost out?

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    The 'they are a big company, so it's OK' mentality when it comes to these situations used to surprise me, but I'm more used to it now.
    I personally don't agree with it, but it's normally a waste of my time to try and convince someone who does believe it otherwise.

-Mike

buldog5151bass likes this.
  17. It's ok to buy a product that's marked down?
    cool :wideyed:

rendevouz likes this.
  18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    No.
    The honorable thing to do is speak with the manager, let them know you would like to pay full price to ensure they meet their profit margins, sales goals, and KPI's. :D

-Mike

rendevouz likes this.
  19. I was kind of puzzled as to the manager scrutinizing my coupons, when it clearly says "Coupon Inside" right on the package.
    I'd also think it was clear that I'd just ripped them from the boxes, because they were rough around the edges.

Today I went the extra mile & took a little pair of scissors with me.

wesonbass and rendevouz like this.
  20. How many coupons are applied to each purchase?

Did you ever walk in with no coupon?

I still don't see how any corporation is losing anythIng they didn't already offer.