Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What melodies ( standards) can you play on your 4/5 str bass?(playing the chords too)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Euclides, Nov 15, 2000.

1. Euclides

Euclides

Sep 13, 2000
    Please,
    state key ( first chord if key is confusing ).

So far I'm playing( please don't laugh!):

Autumn Leaves( Em )
    Dindi ( C )
    Take Five ( Cm )

Thanks.

Euclides.

2. Euclides

Euclides

Sep 13, 2000
    Thanks Ed,
    just visited http://www.michaeldimin.com.

By the way,I busted my bASS off on my arrangement of Autumn Leaves ( copyright pending! )just to my out there's a written version ( much inferior, of course)in his site.
    I'm working now on an arrangement of The flight of the Bumble Bee played with my teeth!

Euclides.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Victor Bailey did a nice Eb min version of "Round Midnight" on his first album. It had fairly elaborate s/k/db/dr accompaniment, but the verses, which are arpeggio-based single lines, work well when played solo. Nice chromatic bridge section, too; can't tell you the keys offhand.

Victor Wooten has recorded some standards using tapping and harmonics; on "Show of Hands" there's a E maj solo version of "Overjoyed" (okay, not a jazz standard, but lots of neat modulations) and a medly of "Night in Tunisia" and "Misty". On "What Did He Say," Vic does "Norwegian Wood" in G maj and a breakneck version of "Cherokee," which even Vic admits is virtually unplayable.

Jeff Berlin can do the chord-melody thing using conventional technique bar none, but his recordings are few and far between and not necessarily standards. Check Amazon; they should at least have "Taking Notes," which has a cool version of Clapton's "Tears in Heaven."

How about Donna Lee? :)

4. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    As far as I'm aware, you can't copyright an arrangement... if you write it out, having paid copyright for the song, then you can sell copies of that (with a royalty going to the publisher for every copy sold), but I think anyone can record it...

Steve
    http://www.steve-lawson.co.uk

5. Euclides

Euclides

Sep 13, 2000
    Gentlemen,
    thanks for the info.

Steve,
    of course I was joking on the copyright pending part.
    Congratulations on your site!

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Actually, if you are serious about playing solo bass, it might also be worth checking out Steve's website as he is involved in a solo bass network.

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Not on point, but in the United States, you can in fact register a copyright for an arrangement of preexisting material (either written or recorded). However, an arrangement is usually regarded as a derivative work, and as such, requires the permission of the owners of the preexisting material before it can be prepared.

8. merrill_chris

merrill_chris

Nov 23, 2000
    B-FLAT TUNE IMAGINATION IS ONE OF MY FAVORITES. pRETTY SIMPLY TO. JUST HARMONIZE IT IN THIRDS WITH ROOTS ON THE A STRING AND MELODY ON THE G STRING
    GOOD LUCK

CHRIS

9. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    ...you can now log onto the Solo Bass Network site - http://www.solobassnetwork.org.uk - if you have suggestions for the site, send 'em in to the link on the site...

cheers

Steve
    http://www.steve-lawson.co.uk

10. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Ed,
    Thanks for the plug.
    I just heard Michael Manring do a bit of Giant Steps. Unfortuntely it was just a taste.

Mike