What meter is this?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by geoffkhan, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Here's a tune I'm working on:

This is pretty preliminary--I've already changed some of the rhythms and notes of the melody, for example.

Just wondering if the meter is decipherable... or if I'm just insane.
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sounds pretty much like straight 4/4 to me. Some cool offbeat stuff in and around it, though, which could throw one off for a bit.

Sounds like a beautiful piece, I'd love to hear the whole thing when it's done!

EDIT: after reading Corwin's reply, I too have to say 12/8. The triplet feel - 12/8. Of course. I suck.
  3. Corwin

May 8, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    If by 'decipherable' you mean '12/8', then yes, yes it is.
  4. Really I made it as 4/4 but the division and accents of the beats seem to disguise it a bit. 12/8 sounds right to me, though, I'll have to listen to it again.

And I've worked on so much on the song, I'll have to upload it again soon.
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm almost feeling the bass in 5, but I've also been working on some weird 5 against 4 stuff lately so I might just be feeling everything in 5 ;)

Actually, I'm not, it was just one part of the bass line, heh.
  6. yeah, 12/8. Its pretty confusing because of where the 1 is (I was thinking the intro keyboard part was straight 12/8 and on the one, but it is on the upbeat of the one)
  7. WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    You could count this 4/4, 6/8, or 12/8. I think 12/8 is the most sensible way to count it. Really cool tune, by the way.
  8. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    That's pretty cool, I like it.