Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What mic should I get for distant miking my band?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by electricdemon3, Mar 15, 2001.

1. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    I would like to record my band with two mics at a distance and was wondering what mic would be good for this. I have a Tascam 424 MII Portastudio so I don't want to get the highest quality mic but I do want a pair of decent sounding ones so I don't have to buy new mics when I get a better multi-track recorder. Also, my tascam has no phantom power so I would have to buy a mic pre-amp if I were to get condensers. So what are you guys'/girls' opinions on good affordable mics/preamps for distant miking?

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    maybe a couple of decent pres and some shure sm81's pretty damn acurate mic and good for what you're wanting to use them for.........

3. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    I was actually thinking about getting some Sure sm81's. Right now I can't afford to buy two Sures and a pre-amp, so I am trying to think of some other options. Another thing I noticed was that there are some companys that make phantom power supplys. What would be the advantage to buying a pre-amp over a phantom power supply? I have seen some phantom power supply units and the prices seem to vary. Shure's is about $120, but I have seen some that run about $60. Does it matter wether you get a more or less expensive one?

4. jburtonca

jburtonca

Nov 25, 2000
    Ottawa, Canada
    A few years ago Radio Shack sold these really nice PZM mikes for $50. I've used them with small combos and fifty piece bands, with exellent results. Just hang a pair of them on a wall, about six feet apart, and you're set. The mikes pick up the sound exactly as you hear it in the room with your own ears. I don't think Radio Shack still sells these mikes, but you might be able to find a used pair if you look around. Crown makes PZMs also, but they're much more expensive.

Jeff

5. The Radio Shack PZMs were actually factory second Crowns! Too bad they still don't sell them..

6. bootyquake

bootyquake

Mar 29, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Those Radio Shack specials were Crowns??? No wonder they kicked so much butt for $30!

We used to do a lot of onsite recording with PZM back in the day. So much room sound for so little cash.

Nowadays, we have more gear, sound, and flexibility.

Check here for a gear list: www.hbconcoctions.com

..but on a budget, nothing beats PZMs for room recordings.

7. Yep. If I'd known that then I would have bought a bunch of them. Boundary mics like that are also killer in kick drums. The shure SM 91 is a great kick drum mic. Of course, when Shure got wind that people were using them for that they discontinued it and re-released it as the Beta 91 at a much higher price.

8. One thing I would consider. I asked this same question of my favorite engineer, and his suggestion was the new tube mic by Marshall. $200, comes w/ a pre, and hung 2' off the ceiling in a room w/ your band, just about the ultimate way to record. look into it. I promise you won't be dissapointed

9. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How much are you willing to spend on the mic?
    Sennheiser U87 or AKG 414 would be my choice.
    Be prepared to spend atleast $400 though

10. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Sennhieser doesn't make the U87, Neumann does. And they run about $2500. The AKG 414 lists about $895.

I wouldn't recommend using a large diaphram condenser to mic a band live (I've done it, and tho the results were good, but it was a 55 piece band in a controlled environment.) With something like the Shures or maybe an AKG 460 or 451 you won't have to deal with the large diaphram "rumble" you can get in a live situation.

11. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    OOPPSS!!!I ment the Sennheiser 421 ( the neumann is very good , but a bit expensive)

12. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I defiantely wouldn't use a 421 to distant mic the band. It's a dynamic, and IMO wouldn't do the best job. Great mic, really good on bass cabs, kick drums, horns.

13. GroovBs

GroovBs

Jun 30, 2001
    Alabaster,AL
    Well I'm guessing this is for the bands listening......
    ....because you would have to be an idiot to thing it would ever soun close to pro.

So this is what I would do!!

Use omni-directional choir mics....turn everyone in your band in a circle and put the mics in the middle.

Sony makes some nice, and very very cheap choir mice....about $40!