1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Mic would you advice for Vocals (for Band Rehearsal /Live use)?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by NoiseNinja, Mar 27, 2021.

1. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Me and my drummer in a newly started bass and drums sort of progressive psychedlic stoner/doom rock duo, at least so far, are thinking on giving it a shot at doing vocals, both of us, so what mic would you recommend for vocals for band rehearsal and live use?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  2. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    I'd get an SM58. I got one with the switch, so I can turn it of when I'm not singing (I do BGV occasionally). Most venues will have SM58s and if you show up with a mic that's too weird, you might make the sound person mad. And sound persons can be cranky (I'm one of them so I know that).

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Can never go wrong with an SM58. But don't try to buy extra cheap on line - lots of counterfeits out there. Buy from a reputable dealer.

4. McThumpenstein

McThumpenstein

Mar 22, 2012
    Michigan
    I have an SM Beta and works great. A little more expensive then the SM58, but I think it's worth it. The SM58 is, however, a complete tank and an industry standard and you can't go wrong

mexicant likes this.
  5. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    You could buy a SM58. And if you wanted to sound good, you could get a Sennheiser e935. And, if bleed control were a serious issue, an Audix OM5/OM6/OM7.

6. SM58 is a great first mic. If budget is tight, consider a Samson Q7 from Sam Ash.

7. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Depends on room size and volume level. SM57 will do well in a smaller practice space AND for the drummer, it has a tight cardioid mic pattern (less unwanted sound creeping in) and either SM57 or 58 for front. 58 sounds a smidge brighter either one or should get you goin...GL

8. +1 for SM58. It's not the best mic in the world by any stretch, but it will score a 'decent' or 'good enough' in almost any scenario you can think of. Seriously. I've used them on guitar amps, toms and even kick drum in a (major) pinch and it's got me through the gig. Also they're built like tanks; use 'em to bang in a few nails before the show if you need to and they won't mind.

Also, they cut through the mix like butter. IME you need to spend 3-4x the cost of an SM58 to get a different mic with anything like the intelligibility of an SM58 in a real-world mix.

I do like the Beta58, but I find it gets less gain before feedback, and doesn't cut through as strongly as regular SM58s (this is because the Beta58 actually has a flatter frequency response, whereas the regular SM58 has a bit of a high mid kick, which is its secret to cutting through so well).

byacey likes this.
  9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Vintage 58's were good. Shure QC in Mexico on $99 at GC items is pretty much non existent. New 58's are a crap shoot... Audix. OM 3, 5 or 6 your voice and budget depending.

10. Sennheiser e835. Same price point as the Sures

11. Ah, that's a real shame to hear - I haven't bought a new one in yonks!

12. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Not a fan of SM58 myself. They are a really old standard and lot's of people love them, but they pick up way too much hash from the cymbals IMHO. I don't particularly think they sound all that great either.

My biggest concern is the SM58 has pretty loose cardioid pickup pattern. I would expect it to be pretty much unusable for vocal mic for a drummer, unless the drummer has a super loud voice or plays super quiet.

One of the mics with tighter polar patterns (OM5 hypercardioid) or (Beta 58 supercardioid) would be a huge improvement IMHO. One big difference though, when the mic has a tight polar pattern you generally have to sing right on top of it, and this produces proximity effect which must be EQ'ed out for a natural vocal sound

An SM58 is way more forgiving of mic technique. You can sing farther away from it and it will still pick up your voice. Also if you eat the mic, there is less proximity effect because of the looser polar pattern. But the looser polar pattern also is why the SM58 also tends to pick up a lot more bleed and have more problems with feedback.

Hopefully you see that you are sort of making a trade off. Many people prefer to sing on an SM58 because of the loose polar pattern. But if you want to crank the monitors and keep bleed from the cymbals and other loud instruments out of the vocal mics, you need a mic with a tighter polar pattern. I think it's been about 27 years since I used an SM58, but I still keep a few on hand, just in case.

s0c9 likes this.
  13. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I have 3 from the 90's as they are rider friendly. They come out for talking heads and Candidate Nights, etc... My front line are Om-5's for husky voiced singers and om-6's for those that can use a little bulking up. They simply deliver a clearer, more natural signal. I relate it to upgrading the cartridge on your (ancient) turntable. All of a sudden, your vinyl sounds better... or the pickups in your bass, wowza, I hear a bunch of stuff I was missing. Why people fixate on a $99 mic from Guitar Center and think it is the cats meow is odd to me.

I (and my band) sing on VX-5's which are !amazing!

Wasnex, AGCurry and s0c9 like this.
  14. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Combination of E835's, Beta 58's and OM6's in my band. I don't control which mics others use..

Wasnex likes this.
  15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    When the opportunity strikes, try a Vx-5 ... It was a revelation to me. I have had both the VX-5 and KMs-105 on one stage. The KMS 105 was superb. The VX-5 was just a slight step down. I bought mine, brought it to a rehearsal, Bill and Lisa my singing partners both tried it and hit sweetwater the next day... $600 for a KMs, I think we paid $250 for the VX mics.

That said I am intrigued by the Telefunken M-80. That was Tom Petty's mic on his last tour ...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    s0c9 likes this.
  16. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    I outfitted my jam room with Audix OM2s for their resistance to feedback and tight pick up pattern. Apparently they have a bit of bass boost to sound fuller on a small PA as well.

17. NigeJ

NigeJ

Jul 23, 2019
    Sennheiser e845 or early nineties Sennheiser something or other......

18. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Built in smiley face voicing:

OM2
    upload_2021-3-31_15-4-20.png

OM5 for comparison
    upload_2021-3-31_15-7-40.png

s0c9 likes this.
  19. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    We used to do that, just buy whatever mic each singer wanted. We finally settled on the e935's, and all three singers got one. Make a little change in eq, and it changes each the same. Much more uniformity than before. Quicker set up, easier overall to use the same mic.

Having said all that, SM58's are hard to beat, Beta 58's are better (but more expensive). My Beta's are all about 10 years old, my SM58's about 30 years old. e935's are youngsters, at about seven years old.

s0c9 and Wasnex like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021