Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What MM pickup for my Fretless?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 43apples, May 17, 2005.

1. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Hey guys!

I have an Ibanez RD500 fretless bass, and i'm looking for some replacement pickups to improve its tone. :cool:

The bass is a 4 string bolt on, with a basswood body, maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. It has a MM\J pickup config.

The tone i have at the moment does not fit my taste. The stock pickups are very high output, muddy and "dull" sounding; they doesnt let the character and vocalness of the fretless trough.

The tone i want is a growly, massive and fundamental sound with the MM, overall just a solid tone that fills up the low end in a band. Growl and warmth is very important.
    It also has to be articulate enough when i split it, for doing Jaco'ish tones and playing, and funking with my fusion band.

The Jazzbass p.u in the neck needs to be warm, creamy and thick. Uprigthy and smooth, if you see what i mean! :). Just something that blends nice in a jazz setup, without loosing the fretless singing ;).

To give you an example of the tone i'd like, listen to "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" by Marcus Miller (i think) :bassist:

Thanks,
    -Erlend

2. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
  3. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
  4. I don't know the first thing about fretless, or the J MM pickup constellation. But I've recently bought the Nordstrand MM replacement pickup for my Stingray5. It's fuller, fatter, warmer and more growly sounding. Not as much hi-end as the stock PU, but still clear. On basstasters.com you can hear some of Nordstrands jazz PU's.

Hope this helps just a little :)

Good luck

5. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Thanks man!
    I listened to the clips on the basstasters.com site, and they sound great ;).

About your MM pickup: Is it hot, as in "high output"? Does it sound tigth, or loose in the bottom end? What "character" does it have? Any other things you'd like to add? :D

Thanks again,
    -Erlend

6. I don't know about the output. Never really tried anything else. The Nordstrand is maybe a little lower in volume that the stock, but it's barely noticable. It sounds much fuller for sure. It has a good lo-mid punch so it sounds tight. The upper mids are little more pronounced than on the stock pu, so I think it would add to the vocal effect you're looking for.