Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What model Bart for a Modulus Q6 fretless?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by richnota, Nov 15, 2005.

1. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    hudson valley
    Im looking to update the PUs/preamp in an older Modulus q6 fretless. Im thinking of a East U Retro preamp but what's the right Pickup model? (it currently has EMGs).

Bartolini makes a whole bunch of soapbars...is there a particular fave?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

FWIW:

Although the retro's are geared for Fender drop in's, Fender's used a myriad of pups over the years and aftermarket preamps are designed flexibly to increase market share, which is to say aftermarket preamps work with vast majority of active or passive pups without issue. I've had plenty of both and have yet to run across any incompatibility with one exception - and that was resolved by removing a buffer (which may have been bad for all I know). Distortion with it, fine without it - so the buffer was jetisoned.

Never had a retro, have had plenty of EMG's and the EMG's have worked fine with Bart, Aggie, and EMG preamps. If the Retro is what you've drawn a bead on, I've never heard mention of any problem with EMGs and I would be suprised if there was one. Personally, I would try it with the EMG's cause I might be perfectly content with the results.

As for the Barts, I've had lots of them but don't do 6's. Bestbassgear is a Bart distributor and I'm guessing could address your need. Don't know but I'm guessing they can get any Bart they want whether they normally stock it or not. I get the impression Barts dealings with the public direct are pretty much a thing of the past for the time being.

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I normally don't care for EMG's but I once heard a Modulus 6er with EMG's and a Bartolini preamp that was incredible. You may want to try that first. The Bart pre really tames the EMG's.

As for Bartolini pickups, check out the new Classic Bass series pickups that they're making. It's your typical Bartolini pickup with more low end and highs. It's a more "traditional" sounding Bartolini. Barts are known for having muted highs and the new Classic Bass pickups don't have that.

Definately check with www.bestbassgear.com for both the Barts and the U-Retro. He carries both.

4. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    hudson valley
    thanks guys. It seems that mixing pu's and pre's from different manufacturers often ends up enhancing the sound. I'll post results