1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What model Carvin is this ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jammin Johneboy, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Jammin Johneboy

Jammin Johneboy Guest

Dec 23, 2011
    Ontario
    Hello , I am wondering if anyone can tell me what model Carvin this is ? The seller is asking $350 for it , but it has a stuck truss rod . Is it worth it ? How do you deal with a stuck truss rod if it won't free up , new neck ?

This bass is a long distance from me so I have not seen it in person just with the pictures. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Jammin Johneboy

Jammin Johneboy Guest

Dec 23, 2011
    Ontario
    More pictures of it .

Attached Files:

3. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

It looks like a B50, but the controls are different from what's on their website. Is that an older model?

[​IMG]

See: http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/b50

Not being skilled at these kinds of things, I would either send it back to the factory for maintenance/setup or find an accomplished luthier in your area.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

4. braud357

braud357

Jul 1, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    Looks like a B50 - looks like early model control layout, with the midrange control option, plus the switch for the rear split-coil MM style pickup

5. JSpradBass

JSpradBass

Mar 3, 2013
    Columbus, OH
  6. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
  7. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    I'd say an older LB75

I say older because its got the 3 band pre, the newer ones have stacked bass/treb and mid/mid-freq knobs. Switch is a coil tap for the bridge humbucker? Push/pull active- passive volume knob?

looks a lot like my old LB76 but one less string. Killer basses.

8. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I do believe the LB series are "neck through". The bass in question is a bolt-on. ;)

I've been playing the same LB76 for almost 20 years and I love it.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

9. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Either a B5 or a B50 with upgrade to active electronics (that's the standard Carvin active electronics knob layout, plus a switch that is probably for splitting the MM pickup).

You can tell whether it's a B5 or a B50 by age (the B50 replaced the B5 a few years ago) or by string spacing (B50 is standard wide spacing, like a 4-string, whereas B5 was narrow).

10. Jammin Johneboy

Jammin Johneboy Guest

Dec 23, 2011
    Ontario
    Yep it sure looks like that picture alright . Is the B5/B50 a budget model , middle in the lineup model?

If the truss rod is siesed stuck and can't be loosened up or is stripped would it need a new neck . $$$

Is it worth it for $350 ?

11. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    I love the way that they oriented the grain on the 2 piece body! 2 piece ash bodies look great when the grain in layed out as such as the op's pics...

$350 for that, even if the turrsrod might be bad, is not a bad deal for a loaded body either.....but then again, I am able to do repairs and such, so YMMV.

12. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    No, it's pretty much a standard Carvin bass. The base cost of a B5/B50 is slightly cheaper than most other Carvin basses because it is a passive, bolt-on that doesn't come standard with a fancy top, but as soon as you start upgrading its options it's pretty much the same as the others. That one at minimum has upgraded electronics and woods, the MM pickup, abalone dot inlays, and black hardware, so you're probably looking at something like $900+ to buy it new.

Can't comment on the truss... I wouldn't buy a bass if I had concerns about that, but I'm particular about my action.

13. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    roughly 200-300 bucks for a new neck from carvin depending on the options.

14. I saw that ad on Kijiji earlier today. There's no logo on the headstock, which leads me to believe it's a Carvin kit bass. The kit is based on the B5.

15. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    LB75

16. Jammin Johneboy

Jammin Johneboy Guest

Dec 23, 2011
    Ontario
    Thanks for the information everyone .

I was just looking at used Carvins on E-bay and right now I am thinking I am not going to pursue it due to the problem with the truss rod . Doesn't seem worth buying a new neck to me . If it needs a new neck at $300 and it cost $350 for the bass , plus the work and new strings, I'm not sure its worth it to me .

17. Jammin Johneboy

Jammin Johneboy Guest

Dec 23, 2011
    Ontario
    Yes it is on Kijiji .

I was wondering why it does not have a Logo . That would make sense that it is from a kit . Now I'm even less enthused . LOL :eyebrow:

18. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    pass on it. so many carvins pop up used for cheap that the likelyhood of finding one without issues is pretty high.

19. alatham82

alatham82

Mar 3, 2011
    I have a B4 kit from about 2001 that looks almost identical. Mine has the same active electronics as that. It's a nice bass, but that's because I put it together ;)

20. Jammin Johneboy

Jammin Johneboy Guest

Dec 23, 2011
    Ontario
    I've decided to pass on it . Thankyou everyone for your help.

John