1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What model of Ampeg is this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockin Mike, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
  2. I'd guess BA115 combo.

3. Looks like an Ampeg BA-115.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yep.

5. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    $150 doesn't seem too bad for it either, if ebay is any guide. There's one on the bay for $200 and it has a busted knob.

Does this thing get the "Ampeg sound"? I have owned a 70's SVT and fridge in the past, will the BA115 deliver?

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well not to the extent of the SVT of course but it does have the vibe.

7. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    I don't need another amp.
    I played a BA-112 at Guitar Center yesterday and tried real hard not to like it.
    I failed.

I'm going to go look at this dude's BA-115 tomorrow.

8. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    I have a BA-115 HPT, which I like. Yes, it has tons of tone options and it sounds very good. My advice is to reject the plain BA-115 in favor of the BA-115HP. The plan BA-115 makes only 100 watts and lacks the other features of the HP. The HP has 220 watts and includes a balanced line out, input jacks for your MP3 player or whatever, a headphone out jack, a mute button and an onboard tuner. These are important features. Plus....the additional wattage. They go for more like $300.

9. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    BA-115 also has balanced line out, MP3 jacks and headphone jack. It's also lighter. I can live without a mute button and I use a headstock tuner so those bases are covered.

You make a good point about the power but I wouldn't plan to gig with it.

But more importantly, there's not a BA-115HP on my local Craigslist right now.
    If I can get a good deal on the BA-115 I will probaby get it just to have some Ampeg in the house. It will probably wind up as a keyboard amp.

10. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    The tone selections, which I believe are on the plain BA-115, are quite good. Bunch of good tone options.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Unless you're playing metal, I don't see why you couldn't gig with a BA115. I just used a BA110 on my gig today...stage volume gig, too, only vocals and sax in PA.

12. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    Are those 100 tube watts or 100 plastic watts?

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Tube I'm assuming you're equating to metal watts. It was actually 35w plastic then, as is the BA115, only it's 100 plastic watts.

Playing along with the joke, though I'm not sure if I get it.

:D

14. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    I mean, is that a tube amp or solid state?

Somebody told me tube watts are louder than solid state watts.

My old 300w SVT could stop a freight train.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Watts are watts...it's just that breakup sounds a lot better on a tube amp than a solid state, and tube amps handle going into the red more gracefully. Not really something you need to worry about unless you run your amps flat out. And the BA115 and all those series amps are solid state. To me they're not quiet amps. Not the loudest on earth but can get up a head of steam for a band that's good about not being too crazy loud. Your old SVT would smash them into the ground, though ;)

16. Beer watts are my current fave, but not as strong as Wodka watts