1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What model of Fender P bass is Chuck playing here?!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SactoBass, Aug 14, 2019.

1. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Chuck Panozzo of Styx is playing a blue Fender P bass with a maple neck at this concert. The bass has three knobs but only one pickup (the usual split coil pickup that P basses have). The two knobs closest to the input jack appear to be in the standard P bass location for volume and tone. But there is a third knob plainly visible at 34:53 and 46:04 in this vid, and that knob is located directly below the pickup. What is that third knob for?

2. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

I think I just figured it out right after I posted. It appears to be a "Fender P Bass Special" with an active circuit. Apparently Fender made these between 1980 and 1982.