Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What modifications should I do on my MIM Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dave Castelo, Oct 29, 2000.

1. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Hi
    I need help on my Fender MIM Jazz Bass.
    Do you know any corrections, add-ons or modifications that I should use to improve the sound?

also, if I wanted to change my pickups to a better ones, which ones should i use? prices?

and a final question. I want to put a Tremolo on the bridge, but I need good tips on that. Best ones? prices?

BTW: do you have a Tremolo? I don´t know many who do, but let me hear some info. Maybe somebody is going to say "thats useless" but I´m in an experimental proyect using lot´s of effects and a tremolo should add some tricks to my bag. also I have seen claypool using it and it´s awesome.

Well I would be glad if you answered my questions (pickups, add-ons, and the tremolo)

bye

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Well, if you want to keep the "Fender sound" on your bass, get Fender's Custom 60's J-Bass pickups. I haven't tried them myself, but they were one of the winners in Bass Players "J-replacement pickup shootout" (which can be read at http://www.bassplayer.com/z1999/9903/pickups.shtml).

You really should give the bass a proper shielding. The bass is quite sensitive for RF interference - I have no shielding on my MIM J, and I rehearse in a factory building. There's some machine or something nearby creating this awful noise, very annoying. :(

About the tremolo... I don't know too much about this, but I think you need to do some "bass surgery" to replace the bridge with a tremolo one. If you don't want to go through that trouble, you could practice on the neck bending-tremolo effect á la Billy Sheehan. But I can't really recommend that to anyone... :D

Otherwise, I don't think any major improvements is necessary on the MIM J's, they sound good to me just the way they are.

3. Badass 2 bridge, Dimarzio DP123 split coil humbucking J pickups. If you use humbucking pickups, you probably won't need shielding, I didn't, and mine is silent. Sounds excellent, and it's my main bass now.

I picked up a Squier Jazz the other day, and I plan on putting on the Badass 2 and maybe some Seymour Duncan Basslines Classic Jazz Stack pickups, which are also humbucking.

Chris

4. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Theres a number of excellent pups on the market to choose from.Most do not go right in though and require some body routing.The J Retro pre amp is getting rave reviews.A replacement bridge is very common on MIM basses.The BA-2 and Gotoh 201 are the most popular.I have a Gotoh if your interested.Only a couple months old in mint condition and requires no mods to install.Email me if you want it.I sold my MIM J to pay for a G&L LB-100 but put the stock bridge back on prior to selling.Good luck!

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    hi bernie.
    how much for it?
    do you have pictures?
    info on what improves?
    can you ship it to mexico? :) (i´ll pay that!)

I don´t know much about bridges, but i know the original bridge in the MIM basses are not so good. How this bridge improves sound, tuning, etc.

6. Where can I get the Gotoh 201 online? The Badass2 comes without notches, and they have to be filed at the time of installation. Kind of a pain. Does the Gotoh already have notches for the strings? Same 5 screw holes as the original Fender? I like the Badass2, but I want to put the Gotoh 201 on my Squier Jazz.

Thanks,
    Chris

7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Great, I want the Fender tone...
    that page is great, is just what I´m looking for.
    the link you gave was dead. but i found it anyway. thanks.

can you explain me that billy sheenan neck bending? :)

8. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Les and Chris,i paid 20+8.95 sh for it.Id like to get 15+sh but ive no idea what that would be to mexico.No pics here but you can see it at Warmoth site.Its chrome finnish,and adds a fair amount of sustain and fuller tone.The bridge comes with the string grooves already in it.It also comes with slightly longer screws.The holes line up perfectly with the stock so theres no mods whatsoever needed to install.I used the screws that were on the stock bridge which works perfectly but will ship the longer ones that it came with to who ever buys it.Thanks!

9. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Hey Les,

Well, there was a ')' at the end of the URL I gave, killing the link... my fault. :(

The Billy Sheehan thing... let's say you play a harmonic, you hold your left hand on the back of the neck, quite close to the headstock, take your right palm and place it on the upper horn - and pressssss! It increases the relief of the neck and makes the note go down. And vice versa - you could also put your left hand on the front of the headstock and your right on the back of the upper horn and press, to make the note go up.
    Though I NEVER do this - this is a real no-no if you care about your bass. Sheehan's got an endorsement deal and can have a new bass if he breaks his neck (the bass's neck, that is :)), but for us mortals, using this technique could be costly...

10. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    One fix no one's yet mentioned: replace the nut, stat. They're usually pretty poorly cut and not very durable. Another fix would be to replace the D/G string tree with the D/G/A string tree found on the US made 5-strings; it definitely helps with the rattles on the A.

If you replace the pickups, keep in mind that the cavities on the Mexican made Jazz are a little smaller than those on the US version; you should expect to do a little extra routing.

As for the tremolo, I'll be that someone who says "that's useless." :)

11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    hi bernie, I´m interested in it.
    where are you from?
    methods of payment?
    shiping?

I guess it will be around 15+10(shipping)

have mail?

12. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Les,im in upstate NY.My EMail is LONGBOWBE@aol.com if you give me your postal address i will get you the exact amount for shipment ASAP.Thanks!

13. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I know this reply is new compared to when the subject was posted. But if you really want to keep that Fender tone then you can more than likely order the noiseless J pickups that they use on their MIA Jazz Bass Duluxe's, I dont know how much they cost but they do sound very hot. EMG's are also very good replacements in my opinion, again I cant remember how much they cost. You may also be able to order from Fender the USA Deluxe pickups that they put in their MIM Deluxe Active Jazz Bass, those sound pretty phat as well. Im really sorry I cant help you with the prices on any of these, and I really cant say whats a good bar, I do remember Carvin putting a bar on one of there bass's back in the 80's It was in the bass similar to the Carvin V220 guitar, my friend had one on his Carvin when he owned one, and I remember it was very stiff. If my memories correct and its probobly not on this it was a kayler, forgive the spelling as i think i misspelled it.

14. Metania

Metania

Oct 15, 2011
    Denmark
    Orthodox Theology, Byzantine History, horror movies, crafts, making stuff from leather. Flirting with awesome women :-)
    I changed pups in all MIMs I've had. They do not sound authentic to me. That and the wiring sucks. Rewired with new pups of your choice, you won't need "tremolo" or whatever sauce to camo a bad sound. :) Some MIMs are reall reall good basses!

15. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The answer is simple: you only need to change things if there is a problem you need solve. If there's nothing wrong with it, leave it alone.

Pickups? What's the problem? Fender's pickups are good ones.

Improve the sound? What's WRONG with the sound?

Need a trem? Maybe if you're an advanced player (and your email makes me suspect you are not) and have specific effects you need - but is that the case? If not, you don't need one.

On the other hand, if you just want to throw money into it and see what happens, then have a ball and do your part for our economy!

16. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    wow, 13-year zombie thread!

mexi pickups are really not "good ones" and greatly benefit from upgrading; otherwise, +1.

(of course the OP has probably quit bass, gone to dental school, and become a successful orthodontist since the first post of this thread [​IMG])