1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what mods for a busted wah?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nappingcracker, Mar 13, 2006.

1. A broken vox clyde style wah has fallen into my posession, and I have been thinking about using the housing as a controller for a diy effect. What would be fun to control via foot treadle?

Anyone here done this kind of thing? I know there are many diy forums that can school me in the electronic engineering aspects; at a higher scope of thought, what would be fun to tweak?

what to do with a broken wah?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    www.diystompboxes.com would be your best bet. Personally I'd either make it control something like the rate on a phaser or something.

What do you like?

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Or, you could fix whatever is wrong with it. With pedals, it's usually a loose connection or something of the sort.

4. true...i'd fix the wah personally, but if thats out, i'd turn it into an expression pedal...

5. yah, I am first going to see if i can get it working, and maybe keep the wah circuit. changine rate on a phaser would be cool, but that has been done. I want crazyness!...maybe throw in a ring mod or scrambler.

maybe it would be best to convert it to an expression pedal and build the other modules separately, and add a bypass/jack for the expression pedal. But that is kinda lame, as I could just buy a dedicated cv expression pedal.

suggestions?

(p.s. - I have been lurking on diystompboxes for a while, probably should sign up, countless hours staring at schematics I do not understand!)

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    How about the center frequency of a parametric EQ? Using a pedal to change the carrier frequency of a ring modulator would also be very cool. But you know what would be the BEST, would be to intercept the DI/mic output from your guitarist's rig, and use the pedal as a remote volume control to keep him in line!

7. +1 for guitarist volume control

+2 for a drummer tempo control

i also like the ideas for a ring mod, maybe a filter sweep?

how about controlling some aspect of an envelope?

hook it up as a dimmer switch and put a colored light bulb in your cab...