what mods for a busted wah?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nappingcracker, Mar 13, 2006.

1. A broken vox clyde style wah has fallen into my posession, and I have been thinking about using the housing as a controller for a diy effect. What would be fun to control via foot treadle?

Anyone here done this kind of thing? I know there are many diy forums that can school me in the electronic engineering aspects; at a higher scope of thought, what would be fun to tweak?

what to do with a broken wah?
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    www.diystompboxes.com would be your best bet. Personally I'd either make it control something like the rate on a phaser or something.

What do you like?
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Or, you could fix whatever is wrong with it. With pedals, it's usually a loose connection or something of the sort.
  4. true...i'd fix the wah personally, but if thats out, i'd turn it into an expression pedal...
  5. yah, I am first going to see if i can get it working, and maybe keep the wah circuit. changine rate on a phaser would be cool, but that has been done. I want crazyness!...maybe throw in a ring mod or scrambler.

maybe it would be best to convert it to an expression pedal and build the other modules separately, and add a bypass/jack for the expression pedal. But that is kinda lame, as I could just buy a dedicated cv expression pedal.

(p.s. - I have been lurking on diystompboxes for a while, probably should sign up, countless hours staring at schematics I do not understand!)
  6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    How about the center frequency of a parametric EQ? Using a pedal to change the carrier frequency of a ring modulator would also be very cool. But you know what would be the BEST, would be to intercept the DI/mic output from your guitarist's rig, and use the pedal as a remote volume control to keep him in line!
  7. +1 for guitarist volume control

+2 for a drummer tempo control

i also like the ideas for a ring mod, maybe a filter sweep?

how about controlling some aspect of an envelope?

hook it up as a dimmer switch and put a colored light bulb in your cab...