What more could a poor boy want?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gareth, Mar 28, 2003.

1. gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    These are my basses:-

Fender 62 Vintage Jazz Reissue
    Fender 57 Vintage Precision Reissue
    Fender 62 Vintage Precision Reissue
    Fender Jaco Signature Jazz Fretless
    Fender Roscoe Beck 5 Signature
    Fender Mustang
    80 Musicman Stingray
    Ernie Ball Stingray 5 Fretless
    Rick 4003
    Yamaha BB1200

What should be my next bass?
  2. odie

odie Supporting Member

Something getting the "high fi" sound. Maybe a boutique bass.
  3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Good idea!! Stick with the theme!!!

Another idea is a fretless.
  4. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
  5. get every bass again, with a different color :D
  6. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I find this an odd question. I think a better question would be directed towards you. What are you lacking? Some people might need only one bass, whereas others may need a hoard of them... So what styles do you play? What styles are you unhappy with tonewise, or perhaps performancewise? What can't you do because of your instruments? This will answer your question.

Or are you just a collector?
  7. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    This sounds like more of a collector's question than anything.

I second the G&L idea.

I would buy sooooo many basses if I had the money.
  8. Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    :rolleyes: Maybe he is a happy collector and a better musician than you and me...Don't worry be happy! :)
  9. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA

Maybe he is .... or maybe he isn't.

I think it's a fair question if he wants something that is useful. But it all seems strange to me. I have a few basses myself, but I have never displayed a list of what I have in order to determine what's missing. :confused: That just doesn't make sense for someone who actually uses the basses. If you are a player, you will know what's missing because you will think, gee... Everytime I play that complex slap riffs, I just feel that I am missing something. Or whatever.

On the other hand, I did notice that he doesn't own any Wish basses. He doesn't own any Hondo basses. Gosh, there are many brands that he is missing. Hey! where is your Rogue? What is the world coming to when our young bassists aren't representing Rogues in their collection. :mad:
  10. I think you should get something with a more modern sound, less of a vintage sound. Maybe a Warwick or a Spector would be worth a try. They would certainly give you a very different sound.
  11. You have a bunch of reissues, maybe you should get a real 62 Jazz or P. Just a thought.:)

12. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    hey no dis-respect but it sounds a little like bragging to me,"just a poor boy "sounds a little condesending no? but on the other hand some people can get away with it on this site,i guess its about WHO you are,than what you actually say
    i guess,i dont know:confused:
    i just opened the door to get bashed huh?
    well go ahead:bawl:
  13. I see no bragging here. I think it's a pretty fair question. Definitely different then most, but still fair.

I don't understand why'd you ever NEED another bass, you got the Jazz and the P('s), plus a bunch of other great basses.

If you were going to buy something though, I'd go the route of a modern bass, G&L or Lakland especially.
  14. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    How about this:

:eek: :D As Bugs would say, "Ain't I a stinker!"
  15. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    wow a Fender man... good choice ;) mmm I'm liking most of that stuff on the list and actually am trying to get some of those ;) mmm if I had that list my next purchase might be a Victor Wooten Fodera. Or maybe that 6 stringer Patittuci has
  16. This poor boy wants a vintage 74 Jazz natural ash with maple board to match his vintage 74 P. This poor boy also wants an Ampeg 810 MTE version to match his existing one.
  17. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    huh? Sounds like he's asking reasonable, well thought out questions, what's with the ":rolleyes:"?
  18. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I think you should seel one or two that get the least amout of play so you're no longer a "poor boy". :cool:
  19. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio

I too found this to be a little condesending.

What's that smell?
  20. gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    Thanks for all your replies and apologies to any I have offended - it was never my intention to be condescending but merely to seek the well informed opinions of TB

I will certainly try the G&L's both the L2000's and JB's and I will also be seeking a 1970-1974 4 bolt fender jazz.

Thanks again