what more do I need?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The_Bass, Sep 30, 2000.

1. I´m making my own cab... and I´ve got 2 18" speakers.

I´m gonna make 2 1x18" cabs out of them but what else do I need than the speakers? I´ve got tons of wood so that´s no problem...

but what about tweeters, horns and stuff? (what do they actually do?)

I´m going to do this so I just need to know what I need... :)

if this has been said previously then tell me the url to that thread... :)

[Edited by The_Bass on 10-01-2000 at 05:00 PM]
  2. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Someone who knows what they are doing :D in all honesty i have no clue what you'd need, but i know the first thing i said is true. good luck & thats all

oh yeah i'm gonna add this part this was ment as a good luck hope ya do good @ it not a smart @$$ remark

[Edited by FenderJazzCam on 09-30-2000 at 11:12 PM]
  3. ok.. that helped alot.. :rolleyes:

one more thing: I want to have an output jack also so I can hook another cab to it... :)
  4. I think you're gonna need a chiropracter :D

A 2x18, huh? Hmmm. Well, you can take this suggestion and do what you will with it, but if it were ME, I would add a module on top (sealed completely on it's own from the woofer cabinet) that houses a pair of 6 1/2" speakers crossed over really high at about 400-500 hz, and then have a tweeter horn there,too, with an attenuator so you can adjust it's output. I would also probably fuse-protect the tweeter, too. The tweeter and mids would be housed in a separate smaller cabinet, which would help at least a little in the portability issue, as well as isolating the mids from the woofer's activities, providing a much smoother response in their range. I'm sorry, I can't advise you on the technical stuff like what value fuse for the tweeter to use. This is just the type of setup I would go for to get the best sound. Those 18s will bludgeon, but won't do much at all in the upper mids, and that's where those mids and tweeter could really come through. You will need good wire, try to go with 12-14 gauge for efficient connections from the woofers to the terminal plate, which you will also need. The terminal plates will house whatever connector you want to use, which will then connect to the wires that go the terminals on the woofer/s itself. Now, to get some good technical info, go to Radio Shack and pick up their book on Designing and Building your own Loudspeakers. It will contain formulas for box size to woofer size, porting, sealed cabs, crossovers, and everything else you need. If they don't have it in the store, you should be able to order it online. Or, you could find books on the subject at Amazon, I bet ;)

Hope this helps to give you ideas!
  5. lawnpatio

Jun 27, 2000
    When you calculate the cab sizes and ports sizes...they have to be EXACT when you build your cab. Otherwise, it will not sound like you want it to.

6. hmmm... does the cab need to be of some certain size? what exactly do you mean?

are you meaning there may not be an airhole anywhere? or am I just so stupid I don´t know anything? :(
  7. lawnpatio

Jun 27, 2000
    Well I was actually gonna build a cab like you with two 15'' speakers. I had bought two Carvins with the huge mags. But I didn't realize how exactly perfect the cab must be for it to sound good. So I just returned the speakers and bought a cab. I know, I'm lazy.

But the best way to go would to get one of those computer programs that calculates the box size for you. You simply enter all the speaker's specs and play around with the cab size until you can get the lowest frequency range without blowing the speaker's excursion. You also have to find a good port size too. Once you find a suitable cab size, you can build it to those specs. But they have to right on, or otherwise it will not sound good.

It can be really hard to do, but if you use some high-grade speakers and get the cab size perfect....you'll be surprised how good it will sound. Hope this helps alittle. Have fun with it and tell me how it turns out!
  8. Bass cabinets are alot more than boxes with speakers in them, there's a whole lot of science to it, that's why there's a Forum for them.
    If you want, do some research and see what you think. This is an artical from The Bass Player Magazine Online it's a good place to start. Good Luck!

[Edited by pkeeg on 10-05-2000 at 01:10 AM]
  9. yebb, I´m out here...

and I´m taking a look at this page...

although you got the link wrong... it´s cabinet.shtml not cadinet.shtml... :)
  10. Right! for some reason the the link isn't working, so click on the link below, then click on GEAR near the top of the page, then scroll down to to the 6th artical in the GENERAL GEAR ARTICALS (on the left) titled Cabinet Basics 101.