What music/bands really get you thinking

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    When listening to music, what style/artists/songs really get you thinking, "Wow, that was really clever."

Here's my example: Progressive Metal. I bought a Fates Warning CD. They are along the lines of Dream Theater. For reference, it's the pleasant shade of grey album. It seemed every minute, I was shocked with something new and interesting. Though I don't play progressive metal (not good enough) I really hope to draw some influence from this fantastic genre.

Also classical music... I really enjoy preludes and fugues... a lot of Baroque stuff. Preludes especially... just really cool complex stuff.
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    jaco....the more I listen the more I realize that it isn't really jazz perse, more like modern classical with jazz instrumentation.

fugues are like the absolute pinnicle of musical complexity.
  3. At the moment, Defacto and The Mars Volta. Defacto is a dub band made up of members of At the Drive-In and the Long Beach Dub Allstars. The Mars Volta are the same people from Defacto, but they play different instruments and they are a crazy excellent rock band.

I dont know if I answered that right.
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I've thought of that before... some of his stuff is Jazz. I'd imagine you could become lazy and just call him Jazz Fusion.
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    but his music is so different from all other fusion of the time....he was really ahead of his time if you ask me.
  6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Just off the top of my heads, some music that made me stop and think (musically) is Dixie Dregs, Gentle Giant, Flim & the BBs, some Sting songs.

And many more, but I'm really bad ar remembering names... :)
  7. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    As far as classical stuff, I like alot of the old Russian symphonies. i.e.- Stravinsky, Mugorrsky(sp.?)....

Anyway I also agree with Dixie Dregs. Along with Rush, John McLaughlin, Al Dimeola, Yes, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani(mabye), Symphony X(mabye).

Also be sure to check out Liquid Tension Experiment~ a sort of Dream Theater side project.
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

OK... I guess that Jaco guy was alright... :p
  9. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I know a lot of stuff that really get me thinking, for example Dream Theater and Jaco Pastorius..
  10. Phish is # 1 for me in that category...

some others...

The Dregs
    Umphrey's McGee
    Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
  11. '80s King Crimson. The interlocking guitars are just...hypnotic.
  12. I'm with you, Wrong Robot, and that has got to be a tribute to the sheer genius of the man. There can be few musicians on any instrument who could wring as much soul and emotion out of one note, and that is the factor that makes me think, and makes me wonder. Some others that have that X factor, IMO, are Albert King, Rick Vito, BBking, Dave Holland, Joshua Redman, Eric Johnson, Miles Davis, but Jaco stands head and shoulders above them all.