What Music Did Your Parents Play When You Were Growing Up?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Jul 23, 2001.

1. I just wanted to see who was rasied on what musicly. Me, I was rased on Frank Zappa, Televison (The Band),
    King Crimson, XTC, REM, The Ramones, Oasis, The Clash, Talking Heads. That's all I can remember. (My parents liked punk music, could you tell?)

Edit: Also, Funkidelic, RHCP,Nirvana, Miles Davis
  2. 72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    When I was growing up (mind you, this was in the 70's), my parents were really into folk music, bebop (which is what they listened to as kids), opera, and classical, but when disco caught on, they both dove into it headfirst... so I grew up on a wild mixture of, like, Edith Piaf/Shangri-La's/Bob Gibson/George Gershwin/Van McCoy. That's probably why I embraced KISS as vehemently as I did, radically different look and sound from everything I'd been fed up to that point.

I'm actually glad for the wild spread of music I was exposed to growing up, I have some pretty widespread and eclectic tastes now that obviously stemmed from those experiences.

p.s. by the way, FF, great question!
  3. Let it all a Cruise. :D "Disco sucks!" glad to see you rebilled though
  4. i really remember listening to stuff like patsey cline, the shadows, hank marvin, buddy holly, the big O

now i'm only 19, but thats the sort of stuff my dad liked when he was younger, and saw the big O

my mums a bit different, i sorta came across her sorta stuff later

the beatles, commadores, david essex, carpenters,

all the mum sort of stuff

thinking of it now, it sort of had an effect on the music i like, i'm really into jazz, i remember finding an old black and white labled louis armstrong record, bit's of nat king cole etc, that were my grandparents, elvis, all sorts of stuff

even waltz's

it's all the kind of stuff you should listen to, thats mayby why i'm quite a rounded music listener

my early bass influences were bands like the police, thin lizzy and i listened to the clash

all the kinds of music that were ending or popular the time i was born
  5. Sadly, none. Although my mom is getting into the BeeGees.
  6. Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    my dad plays bb king on his guitar, he only listens to blues pretty much. i have no idea what my mom listens to though :eek:
  7. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    FreakyFender, your folks have some good taste! :)

When I was growing up, my parents listened almost exclusively to Irish traditional music (occasionally some Scottish/Breton/etc too) and classical (Mozart, Vivaldi, some opera once in a while).

Lately my dad has been listening to Andrea Boccelli ALL THE TIME. The guy has an amazing voice, but so much of his stuff is like he's a male Italian version of Celine Dion... imho... ;)
  8. My mom raised me on country, my dad raised me on early rock. Lately my dad has gotten into some newer stuff, like Metallica and Creed, so hes cool about that. But whenever I rode in the car with Mom (which was alot) we listened to country.
  9. When I was a little kid, my Dad used to listen to the Beatles and the Stones. I remember being 3 years old when I learned how to use the turntable. I clearly remember sitting in front of the speaker and listening to the Beatles' "Abbey Road." Perhaps "Come Together" was my first bass experience. Of course I didn't know what the bass was at the time, but I remeber thinking it was cool.
  10. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    My parents didn´t listen to anything..They didn´t start listening to music until I started playing music, and now they listen to country and my dad likes the Shadows..
  11. ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Well, it IS Texas, so after my parents got over the "go to church every Sunday and never listen to anything except gospel hymns," mom always listened to country. Not that I mind, there is a lot of country music that I like.

Dad on the other hand is a huge classic rock fan. CCR, Janis, Hendrix, Cream. He thinks the rock era died at 1969, though. I like to learn some riffs from those songs on guitar and go to his house and play it for him.
  12. Jeez...you guys were lucky! My folks listened to Dean Martin, Andy Williams, Patsy Cline, and the Boston Pops.

Although, once The Beatles made their appearance on the scene, my dad got into some of their stuff.

Thank goodness for allowance! I could by my own. :D

13. Mom turned me on to the Beatles, Miles, Brubeck, Coltrane, Gerry Mulligan, Joni Mitchell, but bizarrely enough the album I remember most is Rampal/Bolling Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano.

My dad can't hear music; he's just in it for the lyrics.
  14. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    That is a cool record. I should dig it out (vinyl) and listen to it again!

My background was really eclectic. My mother played piano a bit and liked a variety of classical (Bach, Vivaldi, Smetana, Beethoven, Ravel, Stravinsky, etc.) and some earlier jazz, including Gershwin and big band kinds of things. I also had a lot of older brothers and sisters who listened to stuff they heard on the radio or from their friends. I was fortunate to hear some good stuff on pop AM radio in the '60s - good soul, R&B, Motown, British invasion, hard rock, early funk, etc. WAY too many performers to list. One of my sisters was hanging with some bro's and brought home stuff like Sly and J.B. into our (white) home ... this "infected" me and turned me into a incurable funk and soul fanatic!! :) I was around when the original Woodstock happened, and my older brother used to play the record a lot. Thank goodness my parents never really objected to any of it. I think my mother started to like some rock, too, because of

But I still like a lot of classical (especially baroque and impressionist) and jazz, too. I even have a soft spot for Bacharach, Ray Charles, Johnny Mathis sort of pop. I remember my mother being really impressed that I got into Sergio Mendes's Brasil '66 on my own because it was really jazzy pop that I heard on the radio. I didn't "rebel" per se, but was open to all and everything that was good. However, I can't say I ever developed much of a fondness for C&W - we never heard it much, nor did anyone I knew particularly like it.

- Mike
  15. GTi Giant

GTi Giant

Jun 20, 2001
    Dublin, OH
    I grew up with a fairly eclectic set of music. I remember sitting around listening to Strauss' "Thus spoke Zarthustra" (sp?) as a kid. That was mixed with the Beatles, CCR, Boston, The Moody Blues, Heart, Tchaikovsky, Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Brahms, Strauss, Stravinski, Rimski-korsikov, a little country (old country from when country was country not pop w/ a twang). By the time I was in my early teens, jazz became the big thing at home. Primarily fusion and light jazz. Almost everything on the American Gramaphone label, plus the Rippingtons, Dave Koz (I know, he used to play for the Ripps), etc. Also Dave Brubeck. Quite a foundation for the variety that I enjoy. :)
  16. Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    I don't have alot of memories of music, or at least not a clearly defined moment in time when I discovered it.

I guess my clearest memory of the effect music can have on people would have to be waking up in the middle of the night, maybe 7 years old, to find my Dad sitting in his chair, alone, with a bottle of wiskey in his hand, and Charlie Pride on the stereo.

Not exactly the memory I want MY kids to have, but thats what I remember.

17. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    my dad listens to good country/rock/bluegrass/folk/blues/cajun, but he enjoys all good music.

my mom listens to bubble-gum crap.
    <font size=5>[​IMG]</font>
  18. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I am a product of the 80s. My mom stays up with current music so from my birth in 82 on I got a healthy dose of Billy Idol, Def Leppard, Duran Duran, alot of synth pop, but no glam rock. Aside from all the synth and drum machine filled music, I also head a lot of Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks since my mom loved Stevie, not to much of The Beatles or the Stones, but there was some CCR and I used to love George Harrisons version of Got My Mind Set On You. Even though I didn't know who George was, or what little band he used to be in. A bit of grunge as well, Pearl Jam mainly with a touch of Nirvana.

That's all I can think of.
  19. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Classical music. And whatever was on the radio in the late 70s/early 80s.
    No wonder my musical tastes are screwed :D
  20. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    My mom listened to Classical music, mostly violinists and full symphonic stuff. Heifitz, Perlman, lots of Italian and Russian composers. She also listened to lots of folk. Janis Ian, PP&M, Buffy Saint-Marie....

My dad liked jazz - June Christy, Charlie Haden, Sam Taylor, Miles, etc, etc.

My big sister turned me on to KISS :D