1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Music Man bass would make the best fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Melvin7822, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I'm a recently established Music Man enthusiast and would like to know what you other Music Man lovers think would make the best fretless. I personally am thinking a Bongo Hp. What do you think?

2. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I had a fretless Stingray and it was outstanding. It's on the top of my biggest regrets for bass sales.

3. My studio mate, has a stingray 5 fretless....it´s AWSOME...He also has a stingray 5 fretted and I hate it

4. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Big Al 5

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I really like the 4 string fretless Stingrays.

I have not played a FL Big Al, but I prefer the SR FL to the Bongo FL.

6. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I have a stingray fretless with piezo that sounds awesome. I'll bet a sss Big Al would kill though!

7. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've had a late '80s Stingray fretless for years. Love it.

If you're buying new, consider getting one of the new ones with a second p'up. It'll give you some nice, warm neck p'up tones in addition to the usual Ray tones and the added bonus of another thumb rest! :)

8. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I want a nice growly fretless, so I figured that a single pickup model would be better suited to this.

9. Captain Howdy

Captain Howdy

Oct 23, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I have a fretless SUB that I got off ebay, it's very nice for the money.

10. I had a 2000 SR4 fretless for a few years. Beautiful bass, nice neck, etc. It was a two band EQ which was not great on that particular bass. It needed more tone flexibility in the mids.
    I've owned a few Stingrays over the years and my favorite was a fretted '87 SR4 2-band. Go figure.

11. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Any reason why you prefer one to the other?

12. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass. Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    I've got an SR5 HP. It's my main bass. I love the way it plays and sounds, my band loves the way it sounds. With some judicious eq and technique, the piezo soloed can give you a pretty good ersatz upright tone.

13. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    First you need to decide between a 4 or 5 string. From there your options are:

1. Stingray
    2. Sterling
    3. Bongo
    4. Big Al

If you are going for the single pickup option (my favorite), I honestly don't think you can go wrong with any option. The Sterling is a physically smaller bass then the Stingray and has a ceramic pickup rather then an alinco. The Sterling might have a more grindy mid tone but I don't think it will necessarily growl any more then the Ray.

The Bongo has a different pickup and pre amp altogether. I have heard nothing but love for fretless Bongo's and I sure like my Bongo 5 for its ergonomics, and tone.

In the end, I would be looking which body style you like the best and simply pick one. My choice would be a Ray4 or Ray5 for a fretless but I can imagine a Bongo or the new Big Al would make a fabulous fretless bass as well.

14. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    For me, I think the choice is between the Bongo 4 and the Stingray 4 for a fretless. I'm most interested in an Hp configuration as well. So I guess I'm looking for Stingray vs Bongo fretless comparisons.

15. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Here's an oldie from PY and Pino on a Fretless Stingray

16. Pino Palladino played a fretless Stingray ( Pre EB, i think).

I don't care much for Music Man basses though.

17. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    I use to feel that way about MM basses. I've owned several in the past and just recently rediscovered them. I guess anything that Mr. Fender had his influence on is alright with me, and that's pretty much every bass you can think of. :)