What music will be popular in 35 years?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Dec 21, 2015.

Tags:
  1. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

I started this post on another thread but realized it had the potential to de-rail the thread. So I am posting this here.
    I wonder what kind of music will be popular in 35 years? Whatever it is some of todays' younger generation won't like it. Some young musicians are always exploring with new types of music. Some of it becomes popular and some doesn't. There are always people who like the older style and won't accept the new.
    I am not a hip hop fan. Nothing wrong with that music it is just not what I like. Don't get me wrong I am not saying that the music I listen to is better or worse but it is just what I like. Let's not start one of those "My music is the only style that doesn't suck" threads. We have plenty of those already.
    I don't like Beber and the other current pop music idols. But then, I have never been a fan of pop music. There were lots of pop music artists around when I was young that I didn't like either.
    I wonder if disco will be considered roots music in the future?
    Maybe music created without humans involvement will be popular. Total and complete techno music. That would be sad for us musicians.
    What do you think? Any predictions?

2. Harsh noise will be the new pop music.

Matthew Barrack, twinjet and slobake like this.
  3. slobake

Would that music be called Thunderschreech? :D

4. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    All music will have been deemed "offensive" and subsequently banned. Instead of listening to music, people will sit in a circle and think pure thoughts.

Matthew Barrack, smeet, PWRL and 2 others like this.
  5. slobake

The radicals will sit in an oval, it will be very controversial and cause a lot of fights.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  6. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    in the future humans and tech will evolve and merge. they will begin to experience sound in color. darker colors for bass, neutral for midrange, and light colors emanate into highs. the interface will have to be biomechanical, but i believe the blueprints are out there already.
    the spectrum analyzer graphics are how i visualize the format material. just slip in your earbuds and watch the music happening. the music will be as it will become. punk rock will look much different than classical, of course! ;)

7. ...maybe...

You know, my username suits the music I make in the band I'm in actually... :D

8. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    SPEED MELLOW.

ONYX likes this.
  9. Music will be completely composed from virtual instruments and virtual vox. We are already on that path now but will become much more as the technology evolves.

10. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Gangsta Rap revival big band techno.

11. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Theremin ensembles will take the music world by storm. Harmony will go out of style and dissonant chords will be all the rage. Monocle-clad hipsters living in Brooklyn will hype it until it goes out of style, at which point Billy Bob Thornton will come out of retirement and the Boxmasters will take over as the world much the same way the Beatles did in the 60s.

Thunderscreech likes this.
  12. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    As places for musicians to make money at their art shrink to zero, there will be nobody who can write or perform music any longer. So all music will be classic tunes from the past.
    Those who would have been musicians will end up as cooks in a TNC restaurant.

lowsideonacurve likes this.
  13. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Oooooh, it's a brutal future!

14. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Jingle Bell Rock will be the only song that survives.

slobake likes this.
  15. slobake

Is there no hope?

16. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    I wish there were. :crying:
    Maybe if I had a steaming hot bowl of TNC, it would cheer me up. :hyper:

17. slobake

I know things look bad but there is no call for suicide. As Winston Churchill said "Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense."

18. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    IMO, good music has a way of transcending time. Trends come and go, but I strongly believe that music of the Beatles, Sinatra, Elvis, Michael Jackson, etc. etc. etc. will still be relevant many years to come. Fads come and go, but anything good seems to have a certain amount of staying power.

I kind-of relate it to literature. There are classics, and there's rubbish.

slobake likes this.
  19. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Yeah, but he never had TNC, so he didn't understand its power - much like Chicken Noodle Soup.

20. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

Each decade gets inspired by the music of 20 years before. So the 70s had a 50s revival (Sha na na, Happy Days), the 80s had a 60s revival, the 90s seemed to have a bit of a 70s revival (bell bottoms came in and grunge was kinda garage rock). So the 2000s had an 80s revival - I think? did they? - the 2010s we're in now must be having a 90s revival. 35 years from now they'll be having a revival of whatever will be popular 15 years from now which will be a revival of whatever was popular 5 years ago, about 2010.

Or...
    [​IMG]

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021