Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what music?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by popnslap, Dec 22, 2004.

1. popnslap

popnslap

Dec 22, 2004
    :bassist: what type of music do you think bass sounds the best in? is most efficiently used in? and is most oftenly recognized in? :bassist:

answer all or one of these questions.. just looking to see how everyone feels about the bass and how much of an effect it really has on music now days.

2. As a mostly rock and metal guy, my answer is jazz and funk. These are the musical styles where you find the most challenging bass lines and the most talented bassists. :hyper:

Edit: I just noticed you posted in the wrong forum. A moderator will probably move it soon. And welcome to TalkBass!

3. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    One answer for all three questions: FUNK, baby..

Ain't no funk without tha bass.

Me play funk... :D

4. funk. definately funk. even my mom (who i think is tone deaf :rollseyes: ) can pick out the bass in the funk i listen to

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Funk and reggae are the most bass heavy popular musics that I know, but I think that a well mixed record in any genre should have a recognizable bassline.

By the way, check out a lot of African pop if you really like smoking bass! :bassist:

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This isn't really about basses, so I am moving it to Miscellaneous.

7. Funk and reggae, definitely. In funk, it seems to be the most important (does so much for the song), while in reggae it's the most recognizeable (the bass is readily heard and doesn't have to compete with heavy guitars).

8. BlasphemyArise

BlasphemyArise

Jul 15, 2004
    im mostly a rock and metal guy too but i would have to say funk, jazz and bluegrass

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Whatever music Jamerson played bass on.

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    The bass sounds the best in everything. I'm not really equating prominance and complexity with how good it sounds and where it is most effective. Just check out the arco DB in Handel's "messiah". great stuff. As far as most recognized? Well i figure that's by the average person, so of course funk and reggae are way up there.

11. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I'm also a rock/metal guy and funk would be the answer to all three of your questions.

However, there are some killer bass lines in rock/metal.

12. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Jazz, blues, funk, and there's some smoking bass in modern gospel music.