what musikraft dot inlay to get to match vintage 1965 jazz bass dots

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bon viesta, Mar 3, 2021.

1. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    i think musikraft is the lesser known option of getting bass necks/bodies, allparts usually is people’s “go to”, but it seems they have exactly what i want. the option of veneer fingerboards!! i’m trying to make a 1965 jazz bass, me and my dad are in the process of getting an unfinished body and red dakota nitro, and all the stars in alignment for this thing. but what about the dots on the neck? it’s between their imitation clay dots or plastic white dots. i’ll probably pull up a picture or two for comparison’s sake. but please let me know which you think. i think i want to try to emulate the pearloid dots, and their imitation clay dots seem to have that pearloid sense of slight opaqueness, but i’m sure the instant you oil the fretboard they turn that clay brown color.

2. Thud Staff

Thud Staff Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Tejas
    Your reasoning is spot on: Musikraft vintage clay dots are a close to accurate reproduction, and finishing only darkens them.

if you want the white dots, you should order those. 65/66 basses I have seen, are almost bright white, even up to this day...

Reedt2000 likes this.
  3. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    first one is white plastic dots, all the rest are imitation clay dots.

Attached Files:

4. Thud Staff

Thud Staff Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Tejas
    Based on those pics, it would sure be hard to make a choice. Looks like the last one has some oil/finish and yellowed the dots. Are the pearloid, too “pearlescent” for your taste?

5. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    they don’t have pearloid unfortunately, it’s between flat blank white plastic dots or maybe something more “vintage” in a general sense, imitation clay dots that seem to have some hint of pearloid to them.

6. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    some examples of vintage jazz basses. some may be pearloid, others may be clay.

Attached Files:

7. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    I've had my '66J since '83, the dots haven't darkened since it was made AFAIK. I've only put lemon oil on it a couple of times over the years though, not a big fan of the neck. I did have Musikraft make me a J neck though, but had em put black dots on it. It has a more shallow profile than the '66 (deep D profile) with heavily rolled fretboard, but still with .725 radius. Much prefer it.

bon viesta likes this.